Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Felurian

Default Important Read

Please, please, if you feed your dog raw meat, even just a tiny bit for a treat, read this thread on Mz Muttley's forum concerning a very fatal parasite. It's easily killed if the meat is handled properly before feeding, but it's really required reading: http://kaynineclub.proboards36.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=hfg&thread=10976039 78&page=1

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian

Last edited by Renee750il; 07-21-2006 at 04:01 PM. Reason: updated Link
Old 03-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Wow, Thanks for that info....
Old 03-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Active Pup

Excellent. I use a simple rule of thumb, FREEZE everything 1st. Neosporosis is a killer, I have witnessed this 1st hand. I feed raw, and also wean my puppies on to raw, and have never had any problems. BUT I am very careful in the handling of any meats.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Island dweller

Hey Renee, I just did a search on this neosporosis canineum that was mentioned in that link. I couldn't find anything from a reliable source. Do you have one? It actually came up with very few hits and they were all from dog forums... Are you sure it's not a scare tactic? (Sorry for asking cuz I know you research well)
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Felurian

I turned up pages and pages . . . it's primarily been researched as a disease of dairy cattle, but has now spread to beef cattle as well, causing spontaneous abortion and stillborn calves.

Here are a few of the better links:

http://www.jaaha.org/cgi/content/abstract/31/2/174
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/51600.htm
http://www.ivis.org/advances/Vite/br...#Toxoplasmosis

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Island dweller

Cool. Thanks. I think I looked it up on google in assoc. with dogs or something. That's probably where I got lost.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Felurian

Sometimes you just have to work back from the specific search term - even back to the root word . . . THEN you get to weed out the extraneous stuff.

I've got attorneys that think you can just type in exactly what you want and it appears . . . PRESTO . . . and wonder why they get a bill for four hours of research . . . life really gets fun when you're searching patents for product liability. Some of them are clueless enough that when they ask how I find stuff I just look at them, wink, and say "Magic!" Like I'd really give away my secrets to them - or they'd be able to actually do it. Sometimes there's a certain amount of intuition, luck and - yep - magic involved, lol!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Island dweller

LOL I bet. I'm not bad at finding stuff but I do give up after awhile. I don't think I've ever spent four hours looking for something. Although I was looking up label laws in Canada the other day and gave up pretty easily. I don't know who governs that.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Felurian

I would think it would depend on what kind of products the labels were for: ie, food, paint, pet food. The regulating body would likely fall under the auspices of whatever body oversees the actual product guidelines.

Maybe that's why I understand my dogs so well; I'm kind of like they are when they get focused on something - I just can't let go until it's thoroughly subdued!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

Its always advisable to freeze meat before feeding to the dogs, all the time I have had my dogs on the raw diet I have frozen the meat before giving to them, I was aware of this parasite some time ago, through another incident.I also saw this post at a later date.

Mo