Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Rusty but Trusty

I don't regret getting him done early but I just couldn't believe these people that jumped on me for getting him done at 6 months. I really don't care if he looks more girlish and don't have a blocky head or whatever. I don't think I'd have a problem keeping him away from intact females but why should I have to go through worrying about keeping such a strict eye on him for nothing.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Harumph™©®

julie, the vast majority of the people in the world would consider you far more irresponsible if you didn't have the dog fixed and he found his way to a bitch in heat.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscasMom View Post
julie, the vast majority of the people in the world would consider you far more irresponsible if you didn't have the dog fixed and he found his way to a bitch in heat.
That's what I thought too!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Spaying and neutering is not just good for vets. As a matter of fact, I signed a contract with my breeder that specified that I would do it and I honored my contract. I do not intend to breed my dog and I see no reason why spaying her is such a big problem. Perhaps if more people did it, we wouldn't see hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats killed each year. While I know that some people are just plain PERFECT and their dogs will NEVER get out of the home, some of us just aren't that perfect, particularly at a time when some dogs in heat can be very resourceful. I had a friend whose unneutered male went through a glass door to get out of the house. I also see no reason why a dog should be in discomfort with the need to breed when the owner has no intention of making that happen. Imagine if you could never mate but wanted to. It's kinda like that.
I do understand the medical concerns, and it has caused me to rethink my position some. I understand people who choose to keep them intact longer for heath reasons and who are willing and able to keep their dogs from interacting with intact dogs of the opposite sex.

Having said that, I also don't think I am irresponsible to say that I would never keep a mature, intact dog. It's not because I'm a bad pet owner, it's because my lifestyle would not suit it. My dog doesn't spend the day either crated, in a fenced yard, or leashed. She is off-leash on the farm with me all day; she goes hiking with me off-leash in areas where other dogs are walked. I would not have an intact dog in those situations. The chance of an accidental breeding is too high. Meg was pulled out of a high-kill shelter, where, until recently, they would line the "excess" dogs up and shoot them. I will not contribute to the problem.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
A guy with a dog

http://www.bestfriends.org/archives/...pediatric.html

This article was written by the vet who actually did Leo's neuter, at 4 months of age. Lots of interesting information in there about the huge benefits of early neutering of dogs and cats. The downsides are addressed as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Harumph™©®

Thanks Steve.

Sometimes I just wonder if we aren't all anal rententive about our pets like we have become with our own lives and nutrition. The dog I mentioned that lived to age 18? He ate Ken-L Ration all his life.

Every day. Nothing added. No vitamins. No fish oil. Nothing else, day in, day out, with the exception of the meatballs on Sunday, and pancakes with syrup......
Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 PM
A guy with a dog

I think it was the pancakes that contributed to his long life, TM. Yup, I'm sure of it.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Puppy Dog

Lowla was done at 10 weeks, the shelter wouldn't let me take her home until she had been done by one of their vets. I think her recovery time was longer than usual, but she's bounced back and is quite healthy and happy. I would have preferred to wait longer, but the shelter wasn't taking any chances on taking people for their word, I'm sure it backfired in the beginning.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Big Dog

don't worry about what you heard on the other forum because you did the right thing it was not to soon to neuter him its good it was done at a young age
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Just try me..

I never said don't don't fix dogs, I said I just suggest to people to wait till they are done growing. Small breeds that is about a year, larger, its longer.

I will see if I can find publicly accessible peer reviewed articles. Most of the ones saying early spaying is fine, are the ones funded by those in whose interest it is to do lots of early spay/neuters. I find that interesting. I don't see how lower bone density can be a good thing on any level. The behavioral benifits are laughable.

Yes we might get anal retentive. But my grandmother drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney and was the most wrinkled person I have ever met in my life, as she was so concerned about having the perfect tan. She lived to be 84. That is not to say with a healthier life style she wouldn't have lived to 100.