Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
My 3 Blessings!

Interesting topic... this may be something I'd like to try also with my 9yr old weim. So if anyone knows the dosage chart that would be very helpful.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's crew View Post
Does anyone know what the dosage would be? I have a friend that is having the same problem with her Rottie mix. She's about 80 pds.

TIA!
The dosage I was given for lipomas was 500 mg. twice a day for a 60 lb. dog.

If you look on the web, there's a lot of variation about dosages. One site suggests you load the food with turmeric until the dog won't eat it, then back off.

This was posted on a site for canine cancer. curcurmin is a component of turmeric:

"Recommended dosage of curcumin for treatment of cancer is 80
mg/kg/day (36 mg/lb/day), or 400 mg twice a day for a 25 lb dog.,
administered orally (the highest recommended dosage is 120 mg/kg/day,
or 55 mg/lb/day, to avoid toxicity)."

Last edited by Murreydobe; 08-31-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Apparently the curcumin in turmeric is a Cox-2 inhibitor - there is another Cox-2 inhibitor found in grapeskins and red wines - Reservatol. Now, I know grapes are toxic to dogs, but I'm wondering if reservatol is safe.
There is no evidence that all Cox-2 inhibitors are unsafe. In fact, it's kind of a silver bullet and that is where pharmaceutical companies are spending huge money trying to find the next Cox-2 inhibiting anti-inflammatory (remember Vioxx, etc.). If Curcumin is a Cox-2 inhibitor, it might be a great natural way to treat joint pain, arthritis, etc.

Further, the mechanism behind grape/raisin toxicity is still unknown. In fact, a lot of people still feed grapes/raisins to their dogs without any ill effects. Just because grape skins contain some level of Cox-2 inhibiting compounds doesn't make them toxic to dogs or related to turmeric.