Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Hannah ripped the pad on her paw

Hannah's pad on her paw is ripped and she's limping around awfully sore! I put a sock on her foot to help cushion her pad a little but she keeps ripping it off. I put some neosporin on and tried washing it but it's just too painful to her to have me touching. I don't know how she did it she just woke up and was limping and I looked at her paw and the pad was ripped pretty bad.

Any suggestions on what I can do for her?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Show Dog

The only thing I can suggest is to use medical tape and wrap it up. Hope she gets better

Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpitbulls View Post
The only thing I can suggest is to use medical tape and wrap it up. Hope she gets better
I've wrapped her foot in pink tape stuff (I put some padding on her pad too) that I got from the store today, she's so styling now, she seems to be leaving it alone now too. I think she notices that her paw feels better with it on. She walks completely normal with the padding on but she is just resting now I'm trying to keep her away from the other animals for a couple days.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Pres. Of Gutter Club.....

just keep on eye on the over wrap it can get over tight esp after she walks on it for an hour if its still not too tight after an hour then everything is good

I know the secret handshake!!![
Nolu's mindsoap ... known by all not used by many...
Chat is amazing for this reason....
[darkchild16] I love my stick
[TheWonderPuppies] does it have batteries
[TheWonderPuppies] *ducks*
[darkchild16] OH GOD I DID NOT MEANT HAT
Old 09-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Dog Show Addict

Keep changing the bandage once or twice a day.

Keep the gauze and the vet wrap on it until its healed.

If its really bad - put super glue(the real stuff) around the EDGE only and keep it together.

Otherwise, I might be tempted to take her to the vet and at least get some antibiotics for her if the pain persists.

Poor little girl - we've had a lot of dogs come in lately with the exact same problem.

not much you can do about sliced pads except glue them, clean them and wrap them.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Top Dog

Had this happen to Abbey last summer. She needed to be stitched and on antibiotics to prevent infection. It was awful!! She went daily to the vets to make sure that the stitches were staying in, and to have her booty changed. Anytime she went outside we had to cover her booty with a waterproof booty. Her activity had to be restricted for the two weeks that the stitches were in, and by restricted I mean she could do no more than walk. She wasn't allowed to jump on and off of the couch, trot around in her usual style...it was hell. If you are unsure, I would call your vet. The problem with paw lacerations is that they can be reopened time and time again if they move the wrong way on it while it is healing. The good news is that stitches are a last resort and used if the area is too big to be glued. Good luck!!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

If it's deep ..she may need stitches ....Good luck !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well I think if she isn't better by Tuesday we'll bring her in. She hasn't messed with her bandaged at all last night or today I taped one of Kenny's socks to her foot and then some pink bandage over it.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

If you have a feed store for livestock in your area you could go there and purchase chlorhexidine. Dilute it with water to a light powder/sky blue color and flush the wound twice a day, dry and apply a clean bandage. Or, you can use Betadine diluted with water to the color of weak tea.

Good luck.