Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Top Dog

Default Nova Scotia Duck-tolling Retrievers

Tell me about them. I've liked them for a while but do not know much about them. So what's there activity level, dog friendly? cat friendly? independent? etc.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Just try me..

High energy. Smaller than other retrievers. High drive for the most part. Not goofy and 'love every human' as other retrievers, but very devoted to their people. Heheh not as smellly when wet either.

Good with people. I have met some that are a bit dog reactive, but that is usually the bitches. There are loads of them around here in agility. One of my good friends has one. We looked into getting one years ago. (but the bitch we liked never caught, then we got more JRTs) They are very smart, and very athletic.

There is one small bitch in Ont with a young handler who has won the 16 inch div in agility year after year. They can be quite intense. And then there is the toller 'song' Tollers can squeal, and whine and scream, like no other breed I know. It is very high pitched. All tollers do this, some just more than others.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Top Dog

I've only known 2 and both were very hyper . Lovely dogs though .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Dekka answered really well, but I just thought I'd add some input too!

Tollers should be extremely energetic, active, always on the go dogs. They require at least an hour of exercise daily, preferably more (both physical and mental). If that doesn't happen, then like many other high energy breeds, they'll find other ways to use up that energy. Ways that result in destruction, non-stop barking, etc. Of course, if they miss one day of full exercise they'll be quite content to lay on the couch and relax but don't expect that two days in a row. They are great at sports such as Agility and Flyball. They're very high drive dogs as well as highly intelligent, quite easy to train dogs (though they can be quite stubborn at times).

They're also very alert dogs. Neither Tango or Dance miss a beat. They can look sound asleep and even if I so much as move my foot they spring up and are ready to go. As far as being independent goes, that very much just depends on the dog. Dance is a velcro dog though.

They should be dog friendly, but there are quite a few that are a bit dog reactive (especially bitches, and especially of they're intact). Many times that has to do with lack of major socialization when they're young, but not always. That brings me to another point. Tollers need loads of socializing all through out their life, and especially as puppies. More so than many other breeds - they're kind of quirky. As far as cats go, many do have a high prey drive but I know quite a few Tollers who live peacefully with cats.

Tollers don't have a "Hi, I just met you and you're my best friend" attitude. Most are pretty reserved with strangers and save most of their exuberance for close friends and family. They're very devoted to their family, and many choose one person inparticular, but not all.

As far as noises go, they're known to be a very vocal breed. They have a wide array of whines, barks, yodels, howls, etc. The Toller scream (not song) is quite often used when the dog is in anticipation of something, or a state of extreme excitement or anxiety. And no, not all Tollers do scream, but many do.

And here's the "Top 10 reasons not to get a Toller" list:
http://www.calibertollers.com/toller/topten.htm

It's not something to steer you away from the breed, but it's full of information on what a Toller is basically about.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 08-25-2007, 03:16 PM
BusterLove

they're really growing in popularity here.

wait on, i read an interesting link of their "bad points" a while ago, i'll see if i can find it

Old 08-25-2007, 03:18 PM
BusterLove

LOL, i just saw Toller_08 listed it for you. its a good read. yay i don't have to go find it now

Old 08-25-2007, 03:18 PM
BusterLove

oh, and the list did steer me away fromt he breed when i read it. Lovley dogs but not for me