Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Gentle Ben

When in the army I was in Turkey (Ankara) for 3 years. Those dogs are magnificent and they were bred to guard herds of sheep from marauding wolf packs. They do a good job too. I've spent a lot of time in villages all around Turkey and the locals treat these dogs, not as pets, but as tools for which they were bred. They don't take kindly to anyone trying to be friendly with those dogs. Many of them wear spiked collars (very sharp) to prevent wolves from tearing out their throats if attacked. One time I watched a villager throw sheep entrails to several of those dogs. Not a pleasant sight but one that is repeated often. The dogs are bred to be vicious.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Snow Girl

Jenn, I find it interesting that you posted that video with such negativity as a couple of the pictures are of dogs from Boz Kennels which is where the dogs in the OP's videos seem to be from. Boz Kennels are known for their fighting-line of Kangals that often have furry mastiffs from the Anatolian region (not to be confused with what is proclaimed to be the "Anatolian Mastiff" by many Americans) in their blood as well as other dogs beside just Kangals...

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Twin 2.0

The comments in those videos, at least the ones I could read, just made me very, very sad.

Very powerful looking dogs though.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Puppy Dog

Kangal dogs: