Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-02-2005, 05:57 AM
Top Dog

Amen to that Smkie!!! I'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but my neighbors have been shooting off the @#$! fireworks (M80's) for a week now. If it was contained to one day, on the 4th when its supposed to be, I could handle it.

Thank you all for your responses! Happy 4th, to the US people!
Old 07-02-2005, 06:17 AM
BusterLove

Last night was fireworks night here, so in addition to the huge display, there are private firework shows.

Sophie and buster are ok (my family goes up on the roof as they can see them from there but I stay down stairs because sophie doesnt like them) But daisy is really scared, so they take her up on the roof with them. Is there any way that you could possible get out of own for the weekend, maybe go camping or what not?

Old 07-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

Mrose,
Na, I'm afraid we are homebound for the weekend. Luckily it is cool here, so I'm going to take Showpugs suggesting and close all the windows and turn up the volume on the TV and radio. I don't like to be this way, but if it gets real bad I may call the police, fireworks are illegal in Michigan. Already this morning, someone has been letting off M80's, which are so loud, you can feel the house tremble!
Old 07-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Top Dog

None of my dogs is afraid of fireworks. I don't know if what I've done made a difference or not. Maybe they're just not afraid. But what I always did was before they really got started and people would just do a few during the day, I'd get out a special toy that they don't get to have all the time and some treats and make like a party. When one would go off, I'd make happy, squealy sounds like, "ooooooooo, woooo hoooo. What's that?" (in a super cheerful voice) I'd throw the toy and play tug and give treats. They'd start out looking a bit alarmed but then look at me and look like they were saying, "Oh....this is fun? OK....whatever." LOL. I've even lit some off right out front and they didn't seem to mind.

One thing....if your dog is extremely nervous, try not to make too big of a sympathy fuss. I know it's hard, but it reinforces their way of thinking that something REALLY is wrong. (not that they don't already think that, but....)

My horses needed tranquilizers. They were a mess on the 4th. I was afraid they'd really hurt themselves. So, if your dog is too far gone to reach, then I would ask the vet for next time.

You might try conditioning them during the year before the next time. Find something that makes a similar sound, maybe not so loud and do it sometimes, assoiciating it with good times and good food. Just little by little during the year, gradually increasing.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

Good advice Doberluv. I never thought about that before but I probably do make it worse by "babying" Murray and petting him and hushing him, etc. If I have the "no big deal" attitude, it can only help. Besides, babying him is definetly not helping anway. Thanks a lot.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish
Good advice Doberluv. I never thought about that before but I probably do make it worse by "babying" Murray and petting him and hushing him, etc. If I have the "no big deal" attitude, it can only help. Besides, babying him is definetly not helping anway. Thanks a lot.
Totally agree...if my dogs act chicken over things I never comfort them. I always act brave and calm and encourage that in my dogs. If they see me soothing and doting over them then they probably start to think that something is worth being scared over.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

I do comfort my dogs at times....with a little pat and a word, but don't like to make too big of an "awwwwwwww, you pooooor baby" and try to keep my tone in the "no big deal" thing. I have seen them calm down about other things with a little comforting, "it's OK, no big deal"....just don't go overboard. LOL.

I know they say to ignore them when they're upset, but I have experimented purposely with this (LOL) and with my dogs anyhow, I've noticed that it doesn't seem to hurt to give them a little word here and a little pat, "it's OK" there. It just goes against my nature to completely ignore them if they're looking at me like, "what is it Mom? I'm worried." A reassuring voice and then change the subject seemed to make them at ease again.