Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 PM
<< My baby girl, Pinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashnsegersmom View Post
.....He is one prednisone and Gentocin spray and he is quite upset as there were LAKE PLANS for this weekend, but alas, he can not swim yet....sigh.

Maybe, with a hair dryer, it is still a possibility? He is begging....momma asked if he can dry his hair by himself and he said no.......sigh.....Maybe Nash can do it.
I would check with the vet on that one because the hot spot could be vulnerable to any parasites/bacteria in the water, and the prednisone suppresses his immune system.

I love my critters to death, thank God for them everyday, and can't live without at least one. I need them as much as they need me, and have found they're much better than husbands!!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Big Dog

Default we have nixed the lake plans.....

the hot spot is seeping again.......sigh

I wonder if I can use the vinegar/water solution in addition to the prednisone and spray??
Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
<< My baby girl, Pinkie

It's not going to heal overnight, so it could be a normal discharge. On the other hand, if it's colored at all, or the area is swollen and pink/red, you might want to call the vet back.

The prednisone is only to stop the itching/scratching cycle; it's not an antibiotic, and it'll take a day or two before the full effect kicks in. I'm not familiar with the spray you're using, tho.

Did you get this stuff from the vet? If so, I'd call and talk to him/her.

I love my critters to death, thank God for them everyday, and can't live without at least one. I need them as much as they need me, and have found they're much better than husbands!!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Big Dog

Default yes all is from the vet...

the prednisone and Gentocin spray - the actual Hot Spot is getting better today. But we decided Seger won't be going to the lake. It would be too tough for him to try and keep him from the water. So we have a friend that will keep him- she doesn't want him neutered next Tuesday as she wants a pup LOL Nope,..don't worry.

Grammy you relax, we have Seger covered if we decide to go!~
Old 05-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

HUMPH !!!!!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Bumping this up, because my beagle has one on her cheek.

I've been using cold compresses and hydrocortisone. Is this ok? Also, could I put some Neosporin on it?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

I've also seen some entries about Gold Bond Medicated Powder.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

The key is to keep him dry dry dry It's not easy to do when you have a Golden that LOVES water. Our Golden Baxter literally swims in his water bowl it is a nightmare keeping him dry. He had a hotspot behind his right ear and it was BAD when we finally noticed it. We treated it with Gold Bond antibiotic cream and it healed up fine. He is wet more than he is dry but I try to always dry behind and in his ears everyday. I use white vinegar and rubbing alcohol for his ears and I blow dry or towel dry behind his ears. Once he heals you will be able to prevent it from recurring but you have to dry his problem areas after his swims. Good Luck!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Thanks.

What do hotspots look like when they start to heal? My beagle's hot spot appears to be hardening, sort of like a scab. It's hard to the touch.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

Yes, they tend to look like a scab as they dry out .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/