Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Active Pup

Default I want a Yorkie but have a ?

Hello,
My husband and I are wanting to get a dog and I think we have decided on a Yorkie. I have heard alot of good things about them. My only concern is we both work and the dog would be alone for about 7 hours a day. I plan on crate training and having the dog in the bathroom with puppy pads during the day with the open crate but I am worried that this is too long to have a pet be alone. Any advice?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 PM
and Spy.

Will you have any breaks in the middle of the day that you can let him/her out of the crate? Or do you have a nice neighbour who would let your dog out and maybe give him a little play session?

Puppy pads are really not a good idea. If you want your dog to ever be able to go outside reliably puppy pads are probably not what you want.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

Nix the puppy pads! If you have a break mid day it should work out fine! We got Wrigley at 10 weeks (he was a small pup) and we just did crate--he would be in the crate for around 3-4 hours and then someone was home to let him out--so it totally could be done. I'd want to make sure that the pup came from a great breeder though and not at a really young age (a bit older would probably be better--so no 8 weeks ect).

Puppy pads can get really confusing to pups--and do you want to deal with cleaning them up and dealing with them anyways? The crate should be fine as long as it is small and you are coming home for a break mid day.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Fishies!

Puppy pads are ok if you don't expect the dog to ever be reliable going outside again. My mom uses them with the Pom mix, but given the small size, its not that disagreeable as long as you clean it up after he uses it.

For a larger dog that could actually create a stinky environment, forget it! But, it works Ok for the toys, I think...
Old 08-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Can you find a reliable pet sitter that can come over once or twice a day while the puppy is young for a potty break and a little play time?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Salty Sea Dog

yorkies are terriers, they can be high energy and need stimunlation, im not sure 7 hours straight in a crate would be the best idea...a pet sitter to come in once a day for playtime halfway through however might make it work out.

with a yorkie id toss the idea of the pads while its a puppy, again, terrier...meaning youll get home to lots of white confettie all over your bathroom floor!

nice breed, a little too terrier for me lol.

both my breeds right now are "terrier like" (heck the crested IS a terrier breed when it comes down to it) but eveyr yorkie ive ever met has been just too much terrier for me...cute, adorable...a little MORE than i can handle, and alot of people dont realize, many think oh a yorkie is a toy breed so itll be fine...please keep in mind, they are Terriers first, THEN toy breed dogs...
good luck.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 08-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

I agree with the others- 7 hours is far too long for a Yorkie, or any dog really, to be crated. In our area we have a doggy day care for people who work during the day. Do you have anything like that?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

No small breed pup can hold it that long and too many of these dogs get dumped because someone tries it and they never housebreak. If you really want a Yorkie (they are great little dogs - I have one), why not try to go through rescue and get an adult? Even though a York is a few years old, they live so long that you might still have it longer than most breeds you get as pups. My girl is 18+ and going strong.
You know he's on the level.
~Author Unknown

I don't whisper - I translate!

Paws for Praise - Make a Tail Wag!
http://www.pawsforpraise.com