Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Active Pup

Default Trouble breathing, gasping for air through nose.

My 6 month old wheaten terrier all of the sudden started gasping for air through his nose and then his whole body shakes. It kind of sounds like there is something caught in it. He started a little while ago and then stopped. Then he started again and stopped. I don't know what it is. Has anyone seen this?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Felurian

You need to see your vet. It could be something very simple, but he really needs to be checked.

If you've got a video camera, keep it charged and handy and shoot some video the next time it happens so that you can actually show the vet.

My Mom had a little Terrier mix who had spells like this every now and then; hers turned out to be bronchitis and was very simple to treat (Creomulsion for Children!), but your vet needs to look at him before you give him any medications at all.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

Uhm...I think I know what you're talking about.. my Chihuahua has the same problem..
this could very well be due to a (can't find a more suitable word) "messed up" trachea (sp?)...you know..the breathing tube..thingy? Oh gosh imagine me as a vet huh? LOL

Yeah my dog has this problem..as far as I know, the only thing that would fix it (if your dog has the same problem as mine), would be through surgery or I THINK..not sure but I think there are certain medications you can give your dog but I don't know much about those..

I haven't really done anything with my Chi..he has these little attacks every so often..and he does have some breathing problems..this is more common in small breed dogs...since your dog isn't exactly tiny, I would go see a vet..but...I dunno..my dog is living

*thanks God of course, as always*
Old 09-30-2004, 01:13 AM
Are you dead yet?

It sounds like 'reverse sneezing', which a LOT of terriers and small dogs do. (Ripley does once in awhile as well) Does he make a "honk, honk, snort, snort" noise? If he does, it's probably reverse sneezing.. What works for Ripley is to take his head in my hand, and gently push his head downwards and into his chest. I think something about that relaxes whatever is tensed up and spasmic.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Felurian

LOL!!! I'm still giggling over that description: 'honk, honk, snort, snort." That's EXACTLY what Roo sounded like, although maybe it was a little more of a "honk, honk, snerk, snerk."
Old 10-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Big Dog

Apollo does the same thing. He hasn't done it in a while though so unfortunately i can't help with any advice. I hope you find out what's causing the problem and i hope it's nothing to serious
Old 10-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Top Dog

Rrevere sneezing is about the best way to describe it, EVERY dog I have ever had, has done this, at least a little bit. The worst one was my old Beagle that did it a lot, at least once a day. His pup did it almost as much, the two I have now do it maybe once a month or so. For some reason, it upsets the other one greatly and if it goes more than a few seconds, the other one is climbing the walls, almost as bad as when the vaccuum cleaner comes out!