Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Boxer Crazy

I was using regular Frontline. I'll see about using Plus. We go camping, so I do need something to protect the dogs from ticks.

The Borax and salt was not too difficult. I put it on last night at bedtime and vacuumed it up this AM. I hope it works - I really, really hate fleas!

Rescue Boxers are Adoptable Love
Old 08-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Rescue Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyWebb View Post
I was using regular Frontline. I'll see about using Plus. We go camping, so I do need something to protect the dogs from ticks.

The Borax and salt was not too difficult. I put it on last night at bedtime and vacuumed it up this AM. I hope it works - I really, really hate fleas!
Try the Frontline Plus and always wait 3 days to apply it after bathing. It requires the natural oils of the coat to work at it's best. Hope it works for you!

I've been frosted!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Oh, it's *you*

I've heard you simply switch off every now and again from one brand to another and you have less failure issues then. Insects CAN become immune to the same ingredient if it's used too often...so switching helps prevent this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Well, i just put some flea medication on him, will it hurt him to buy another brand and put more on him so soon?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Puppy Dog

I used Frontline Plus for years & suddenly it just stopped working. I switched over & used regular Advantage for 3 months, then I switched back to Frontline Plus. The Frontline is working again, & during the "off" time the Advantage worked well.

Merial (maker of Frontline) recommended using Frontline every 14 days, but I couldn't bring myself to put that much pesticide on my dogs in such a short time frame.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Oh wow, I guess I'm having this problem as well with the frontline plus. I noticed fleas on our new kitty today (and flea dirt too). He had frontline plus put on like a month ago and our dogs have been using frontline plus for about a year.

They all got a bath with flea/tick shampoo today but Elwood still has fleas in his armpit area (which is an area I know to scrub really well). Our kitty seems to be flea free (for now) and noone else seemed to have fleas besides those two. I sprinkled some store bought flea/tick killer on most the carpets but I put more frontline plus on the dogs today (the store said that we could even though they just had a bath). I'll see if that works any and tomorrow I'll try the borax and salt.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Here to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevolasvegas View Post
I used Frontline Plus for years & suddenly it just stopped working. I switched over & used regular Advantage for 3 months, then I switched back to Frontline Plus. The Frontline is working again, & during the "off" time the Advantage worked well.
This is really interesting because, although my vet doesn't believe me, I really think this is happening with my Milo, too. Although he gets baths weekly and Frontline Plus every 4 weeks, he still has at least 1 flea per week and is itchy scratchy. I have had my house and yard treated by FleaBusters (though it's probably time to do so again) and maybe he's picking up one or two baddies on our neighborhood walks, but c'mon. Frontline should more or less take care of that, right?

Maybe I'll switch to something else for a few months. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Here are some things to take into consideration if you feel you are having problems with Frontline Plus:

Are all of the dogs and cats in the house being treated?
Are all pets receiving the correct product and dose (weight, dog or cat)?
Are you applying the product to the skin, not the haircoat?
Have you applied it once a month for at least 3-4 months?

From Merial:
Quote:
"Immediately after applying Frontline, you may see fleas on top of the haircoat, but this is an indication that Frontline is working because Frontline overstimulates a flea's nervous system, drawing it to the top of the haircoat before it dies. You may also continue to see fleas for two to three months until all those newly hatched adult fleas in the pet's environment are killed."

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi