Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm All Ears

I agree with waht's been said. Just because the breeds are small, they aren't that similar in personality.

Of those I'd probably pick a longhaired Chi followed by the pom, but that's just ME. Terriers don't fit as well with my personality.

Anyways, I know several poms and one really pretty well. She's a good dog, but she is very badly bred and a rescue, so she's probably not the most to standard pom. She's definitely a one person dog compared to the papillons, but I don't know if that's standard pom behavior or just her. The paps will be up in everyone's laps all the time giving kisses and wanting to be petted, whereas she will be lying down near her 'mamma'. Don't get me wrong, she lets other people pet her. She just seems a bit more independant than the paps. She also loves toys, which I've mentioned before. She carries this toy bunny around in her mouth at all times. It's really really cute.

Anyways, I have to agree. After training three toys to pee outside, I've really not seen any significant difference in potty training the little ones versus the big ones.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Showing...even in small shows a coated breed like a Maltese will be a MONUMENTAL undertaking as far as grooming....so do bear in mind the HOURS of work you will need to do WEEKLY to keep the dog in coat and in condition...then also factor in the EXTRA HOURS on actual show weekends. It's no joke...keeping a Maltese or Yorkie is show condition is NOT a task for the meek or those on a tight schedule!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
Showing...even in small shows a coated breed like a Maltese will be a MONUMENTAL undertaking as far as grooming....so do bear in mind the HOURS of work you will need to do WEEKLY to keep the dog in coat and in condition...then also factor in the EXTRA HOURS on actual show weekends. It's no joke...keeping a Maltese or Yorkie is show condition is NOT a task for the meek or those on a tight schedule!
And at least where I am, they're always first thing in the morning.

(genius move, I tell you!)
Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 PM
A guy with a dog

I'll jump in with my super-limited experience. Not because it's helpful, but mostly because I like to hear myself talk.

I have a chihuahua X shih tzu. He's only 15 weeks old right now, so we haven't had him for very long (we got him at 6 weeks). He's like 3/4 Chi, 1/4 Shi, and I admit he came from a byb. As for our experience with him - potty training was unbelievably easy - hasn't had an accident in weeks, only had a couple at the beginning, even at only 6 weeks old. He doesn't care if the grass is wet or if the sprinklers are running - he goes on the grass. I care if the sprinklers are running, though....

He's learning to be good with my kids, 20 months and 3 1/2 years old. We're training both him and the kids to be good to each other. He's quite mellow, lets anyone pet him, gets really excited to meet new people, and just kind of acts like a puppy. Being a chi mixed with a slightly larger dog, he's already 7.5 pounds at only 15 weeks, so he'll be slightly bigger than the average chi, which is great in my mind. Still very small, still has a hard time even jumping up onto the couch (which I don't let him do, anyway), but not quite so fragile as a purebred chi. His coat is short (except for some long hairs on his knees and elbows ) and easy to care for. He's just basically a great dog, and everyone loves him.

Of course, you can't show a dog like that, but it's a great pet. Chi crosses show up in shelters all the time, so it would be easy to find. If you're lucky, you get the best of both worlds.