Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-25-2005, 04:59 AM
BusterLove

lovely little dogs, tahts all i no,

Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Mixed Dog

I have a mixed dachshund
but he is pretty big, so he lives outside with his doghouse and dog beds..

Dog abusers: Unwanted
+Dogs4[my]life+
Old 06-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Rusty but Trusty

was he easy to housebreak. I have really been trying to get these people to look into other breeds as well but my husband's wife is DEADSET on getting a dachsund. It makes me mad because I know the only reason that she wants one is because she thinks they are cute. Which they are cute dogs but there are A LOT of other things to consider when getting a dog rather than just cuteness.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Big German Shepherd

My brother has a dachshund and they are the most WONDERFUL dogs once they are house trained.

My brother's Dox wouldn't hurt a fly. In fact, he had a roommate with a cat that would paw at the dog and the Dox would just run away for some cuddling!

Here's a pic of him--in my brothers messy, messy room:

Old 06-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Rusty but Trusty

yes the dog is very cute. I was hoping that these people would do some research on the breed before getting one but they insist they know what they are doing. They have an older dog rescue dog too, she's a 10 year old greyhound mix. I know they did the rub their nose and spank the butt hosuebreaking method. I'm hoping they will try a different approach if they get a new doggie.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Felurian

Julie, one of the members here came up with a novel - and very effective way to deal with the housebreaking/scolding problem. She scolded the puddle or pile where her dog could see and hear her do it. He got the idea that those things weren't supposed to be in the house and were very naughty to be there - now how funny is that?

Something that people forget about Dachsunds is that they aren't just cute little companion dogs. These are brave little monsters who were bred to go down into badger holes after the badgers! Even the mildest mannered Dachsund has a heart that is ready to hunt badgers. No wonder they're stubborn!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Rusty but Trusty

That is funny. I often do that myself sometimes. I'll hit myself with the rolled up newspaper, instead of them.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:43 AM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Julie, one of the members here came up with a novel - and very effective way to deal with the housebreaking/scolding problem. She scolded the puddle or pile where her dog could see and hear her do it. He got the idea that those things weren't supposed to be in the house and were very naughty to be there - now how funny is that?

Something that people forget about Dachsunds is that they aren't just cute little companion dogs. These are brave little monsters who were bred to go down into badger holes after the badgers! Even the mildest mannered Dachsund has a heart that is ready to hunt badgers. No wonder they're stubborn!
I saw that you said that somewhere else and I decided to try it. During the time I started doing it--he stopped his accidents.

It does work...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Hmm... Maybe I'll try that too if my dogs have any more accidents. They haven't had an accident in awhile. Hannah will have one overy so often if I don't open the door quick enough, but that is TOTALLY my fault. Maybe that will work though.