Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Big Dog

Question Should I? (My auntys Dogs)

My aunty hasnt gotten her dogs there yearly shots since 2002 last time I checked there collar tags, I hate when I see dogs with old tags around there neck, they arent safe and protected more then they are now. I know some old dogs cant get it which I can understand, but they should be protected if they are allowed the yearly shots no? There should be a law to get it every year unless a vet says other wise or that asking to much? You think I should take them and get them there yearly shots out of my own pocket, shes making them over weight to, if you want more or all background just ask and I can show old pictures I have and all, been a good while since I was able to visit over there or anything. Love to hear your views and thoughts. Pictures will be here soon, but there not recent.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Rusty but Trusty

I know some yearly rabies shots have been proven to last multiple years (like 3+ years). I don't know what article I was reading but there was a list of some rabies vaccines and even though you are told that they need to be redone every year they have been proven to protect for multiple years.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 AM
Top Dog

Are you sure the dog hasn't had vaccinations, and your aunt just didn't change the tag? Meg has a multitude of collars, and I tend to keep the old tags on some of them so that there is some form of ID on each collar. The vet (or the town, in the case of licenses) can look up previous years records easily.

And no, I don't think vaccinations should be required yearly. There are plenty of people, myself included, who do not give them that often. Our state requires rabies every three years, and I will continue to do blood titers rather than vaccinate for as long as the titers show my dog is protected.

How old is your aunt's dog?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 AM
BusterLove

at the moment there is a lot of discussion about whether we are over vacinating our dogs, i havn't looked into it yet but plan to

Old 08-11-2007, 01:10 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Yeah, I was also wondering how old the dogs were. Older dogs really do not need vaccinations. I only vaccinate until the age of 3.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Big Dog

5-7 or so they should be. I'll see what I can do, they still need an updated city linsce.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

AAHA recomends 3 year protocol on DHPP and rabies.. They have to stick with something that seems to be across the board.. so the vaccs could actually last a lot longer. I'm happy we've moved to three year, it is a start though.

http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground