Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-12-2007, 01:02 AM
Andy

Default Light Panting Breathing?

I have a pomeranian and she seems to always be breathing in a light pant, even if it's cool inside. She has never done this before, well until she met another pomeranian who had a problem with doing that too. She just breathes through her mouth in a light pant and I'm starting to wonder if it's something to worry about.

We actually thought she was just doing it to copy the other pomeranian lol. because she didn't start until about a few weeks after she first me the other pom.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:08 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Hmmm, not sure what it might be. I would get her to a vet though.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Andy

Oh i just remembered, there's also some times when she all of a sudden breathes like shes choking through her nose or something. It's hard to explain. She's not choking but its like she has something in her throat and shes exhaling really sharply and harshly through her nose really quickly. She seems to do it sometimes when she's excited or sometimes just out of nowhere. I have no idea what it is.

I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on it before taking her to the vet. My family has a thing with taking them to vets (or people to doctors) without anything really really wrong with them because of the costs.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Crazy Dog!

You may want to have her looked at. Small dogs are famous for heart problems, leaky valves, heart murmurs etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

^^^^ agree !!! You'd never forgive yourself if there is a problem .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
Oh i just remembered, there's also some times when she all of a sudden breathes like shes choking through her nose or something. It's hard to explain. She's not choking but its like she has something in her throat and shes exhaling really sharply and harshly through her nose really quickly. She seems to do it sometimes when she's excited or sometimes just out of nowhere. I have no idea what it is.
Reverse Sneezing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_sneezing

Quote:
I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on it before taking her to the vet. My family has a thing with taking them to vets (or people to doctors) without anything really really wrong with them because of the costs.
Are you sure the panting doesn't have anything to do with the weather?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Reverse Sneezing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_sneezing

Are you sure the panting doesn't have anything to do with the weather?
hmm, you may have got both of them right. I never really thought about the weather, she has just started around summer. I didn't think much of it, i just thought thats how dogs tend to breathe/pant. It was just she was doing it while she was inside too.

and the reverse sneezing thing, that just may be it. I have to check to make sure its inhalation and now exhaling. It looked like she was exhaling last time. if there was only something on the internet like a little sound clip of it. 'make rapid and long inspirations, stand still, and extend his head" sounded just like it. the noise really scares me though. my other two havaneses don't do it.

EDIT: actually just looked it up on youtube and yup, that's it. I'm sure it is. This is such a relief, thank you so much for bringing that up!

Last edited by crazydog; 08-12-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
hmm, you may have got both of them right. I never really thought about the weather, she has just started around summer. I didn't think much of it, i just thought thats how dogs tend to breathe/pant. It was just she was doing it while she was inside too.

and the reverse sneezing thing, that just may be it. I have to check to make sure its inhalation and now exhaling. It looked like she was exhaling last time. if there was only something on the internet like a little sound clip of it. 'make rapid and long inspirations, stand still, and extend his head" sounded just like it. the noise really scares me though. my other two havaneses don't do it.

EDIT: actually just looked it up on youtube and yup, that's it. I'm sure it is. This is such a relief, thank you so much for bringing that up!
Try pinching his nose while he does it.