Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Walking a Dog and Cat?

I recently started to walk not only Cotton, but his trusty sidekick Diva the Cat. It began a month ago. Diva use to stare out the window everytime Cotton and I left the apartment to walk-the-walk. Diva the Cat often cried when we left. So one day I decided to let her join us walk-the walk. No, Diva did not have a leash on. She just followed us. On ocassions, she would jump on Cotton in a playful manner on the walk. I've noticed the neighborhood dogs staring at Cotton strange. I think Cotton may be losing crediblility amongst his peers. Yet, Diva and Cotton has grown closer since the walks. Life! Any thoughts?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

As cute as that is, I think you need to be careful your cat doesn't get eaten.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:20 AM
Wolfpack

Yeah.I agree.You should be more carefull.

And your poodle is really colored blue?I mean did you color him in blue?

Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

If your cat really enjoys the walks and you like taking her you should get a leash and collar and take her with them on. That will give her the chance to come with you guys and make her safer.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290
If your cat really enjoys the walks and you like taking her you should get a leash and collar and take her with them on. That will give her the chance to come with you guys and make her safer.

You took the words right out of my mouth
Old 06-29-2005, 05:52 AM
Top Dog

I think there should be cat leash laws, but it's not like that would ever happen

Cotton: I sent you a message, did you not get it?
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill."

RIP Chief.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Top Dog

It depends where you go. Vameka will also follow us when we go outside if she sees us leave. She's an inside/outside cat, but I'm careful not to go farther than I would like her to go on her own. So, not very far, and I try to take Boris out when she is not around.

But there really isn't any risk depending on what relationships both have. Boris and Vameka are not really close, so she keeps her distance. If another dogs comes, she stays carefully away, and away from cars. See how your cat reacts to cars and dogs. If she wants to play with Cotton, and he doesn't mind, why not? Just make sure she's careful if you see another dog and it should be ok. If she's an inside car, of course you should use a leash.

I've tried the leash with Vameka, she wasn't too fond of it, and as she goes outside on her own it's probably not a good idea to leash her, especially as she won't be able to move away if another dog comes. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Kelpiefied

Yes, the cat would probably be safer without the leash, holding onto her via leash while a dog is attacking her would only impede her.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Felurian

My Gonzo was an indoor cat (just too many dangers and diseases for cats outside now), but he walked on a leash and halter. Walking him and Bear at the same time wasn't really enjoyable for either of them, as a cat's idea of a walk and a dog's are two entirely different things! Cats want to saunter and take their time; dogs are more motion oriented, wanting to go from place to place or intriguing smell to smell.

And in Gonzo's case, well, he was fully capable of convincing large dogs they really didn't want to irritate him, lol!

Most of the time walking a cat isn't all that practical. If something frightens the cat and you pick it up to protect it, you're going to get mauled. If it's a dog that's after the cat, you've really got a problem.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian