Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Schnauzer Lover

Question Diatomaceous Earth???

Hi all, I am new to Chazhound. I am having a fly problem (My new schnauzer pup goes in a fairly small wooded bushy private courtyard) I clean as best I can but the flies are noticebly worse. There is a dog next door too.

Has anyone had any experience with Diatomaceous earth as both a food additive and spread around areas to help with flies. I have read that it passes right thru in digestion and when it is in the feces it kills the larva of flies and the flies themselves by causing them to dehydrate AND it is totally non toxic!!!

Is it too good to be true?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

I never heard of adding Diatomaceous earth to a dogs diet. I have heard of people sprinkling it around the house (carpets, pet's bedding, baseboards and around the pets dish and frequent pet areas). I heard you can also rub it into the pets fur. I don't think I would use it as a food additive.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Love my pets

Go to this posting I found on our board. It is spread around your house not fed to the dog:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...omaceous+earth
Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Quigleyfied

diatomaceous earth can be used both externally and internally.

internally, it functions as a non toxic wormer and works on everything but strongyles as far as i know, provides many trace minerals and is a rich source of silica (needed for many body functions, collagen formation being one of them).

also, when used internally, it is of course present in the feces and will deal with any maggots from fly eggs the same way it works on fleas and other insects when used externally. this is especially effective in areas where horses, cattle or other livestock is present.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Felurian

Ah, Mordy . . . great info!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Schnauzer Lover

Default Diatomeceous Earth!!

Thanks guys! On further research on www. many people take it as a homeopathic preventative for parasites!

I ordered some food grade and plan to try it in both my dogs food and around the yard. I may offer some to the neighbors! I'll post again if the flies reduce!

Thanks again.