Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Big Dog

Default Aussies and German Shephards

Are they related at all? I have done a lot of reading on the Aussies but havent seen anything on that. I ask because sometimes when Grizzley has a certain look on his face and his ears up I swear he resembles a german shephard.

"Life's a mountain, not a beach!"
Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I run with scissors

Well, the quick answer is that ALL dogs are related. They are both herding dogs, so they would be more closely related than say and Aussie and a Chihuahua.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Twin 2.0

I think it's because he has both uppy ears and sable coloring. It's possible they share some lineage way way far back, because no one is exactly sure what went into the making of the Aussie. Most people agree that shepherd dogs from the Basque region followed flocks to Australia and then here to the States, where they solidified into the modern Aussie we know today.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

well I have both aussies and gsd's, and they do share alot of similar traits/mannerisms/characteristics, but as one put, it may be because they are herding breeds..

diane