Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 AM
BusterLove

Cattle dogs definetly.

They havn't got the BC "i'll do it because you told me to" they're more like "okay, but first tell me why i should"
They can be very stubborn and they're smrter than most people!
They're known to have issues with DA and chasing small furries (hares, cats etc) they also tend to be very reserved towards strangers.

I love how much work they take. And how i can see when they know exactly what i'm talking about but won't do it because they don't see the point.

Like Harry, he's hugley cattledog in both looks and attitude. (he got the BC tail, facial expressions and energy level)
when mum walks him, she sends him running out ahead, if he see's soemone coming towards them, he just stops dead and waits, but he won't walk all the way back to her because there is no point walking back the way you came just to turn around.
She was walking him one morning, and a cyclist came around the corner. He looked back at her and she was too far away for him to be bothered coming all the way back. So all on his own, he just walked about 10 metres off the side of the path and sat in the grass and waited for my mum to catch up.
Now that is intelliegent.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 AM
BusterLove

And sophie has an uncanny ability of understanding. There are occasions she understand entire sentences.

She's old and arthritic, as a joke once, my mums ex said "go one sophie, take a run up" when they were going back to the ute. Well she did, this dog with all arthritis that had barely trotted for the last few years started cantering along and took an almighty leap at the ute. She hurt her legs on it because she didn't make it, but i think thats a bit too weird.

Or, for instance, our old house. It backed directly onto a paddock. so we would run the dogs there 3 times a day (we had a tiny yard at that stage) and mum went out with them one morning, she forgot her phone and started heading back, she said "wait there sophie, i've just gotta go get my phone then i'll be back" well sophie sat, she waited, while the other 3 ran madly up to the house with mum. And sophie just waited in the backyard for a couple of minutes while mum got her phone.

i think just talking sentences to your dog actually helps in the communication between you, and Buster is the BEST secret keeper i know.