Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

MelissaCato, I never said long walks. I said any breed can be an apartment dog as long as the owner gives them their proper exercise requirements. Whatever that may be for the breed/dog. I also said my dogs (and most other dogs I know) don't use the house or the yard for exercising. They get it elsewhere in various ways. I don't walk my dogs for physical exercise, I walk them because I feel like it, I know it does nothing for them really. Therefore, I wouldn't say that all the dog needs is a walk. Perhaps you just didn't understand completely what I was trying to say.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Someone in our development (with a fenced yard) has a Rottweiler. It sits in the yard all day and all night. Whenever we walk by, it runs from one end to the other barking like crazy throwing itself against the fence.

Just because they have a home with land and a fenced yard doesn't make them ideal owners. Give me a break, if people are devoted enough, just about any dog can do well in an apartment.
I completely agree. I live in an apartment, and I have 3 dogs. There are people in my complex with many dogs, from Goldens to Huskies, to Whippets and APBTs. As long as the dog is getting enough exercise and mental stimulation, I don't see an issue with having a dog in an apartment.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Twin 2.0

All I have to say is that I'm living with an Australian Shepherd in a 500 sq. ft shoebox of a studio apartment. He gets to go to work with me at doggie daycare, so he's getting around 6 hours of exercise at a time, plus whatever we do at night.

It can be done, it just requires GREAT dilligence on your part and a willingness to think up crazy activities to keep the mind and body occupied. I know quite a few Rotts who do well in daycare, this might also be an option. However, as dog aggression is quite prevalent in the breed, you might not always have that option, so be creative.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
It can be done, it just requires GREAT dilligence on your part and a willingness to think up crazy activities to keep the mind and body occupied.
yep! totally agreed. you have to to be a very dedicated owner, especially with a young active breed dog. it's a huge amount of work and you really don't ever get a day off. i think adopting an adult dog in this situation can be very beneficial.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:00 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCato View Post
Exactly. Your one of five and I'd bet even 1/20 with your 3 hours everyday for a city dog.

What is like mentioned here on other threads "first time owners" and "any".. "in an apt".

This is the reason for all the dogs put to sleep who have "bad temperments" or who have mortally done a deed to a human.

This is my last post on this one ... I disagree that "any" breed can live in an apt.
I would say i was 1/20 becuase we go down and meet up with 32 dogs every day. Some are walked by dog walkers. But its a hour and a half everyday those dogs get leash free runs (20 are from dog walkers) the rest are fellow dog owners, who we all meet up with every day at 2pm. Dogs play any where from 2-4 or 2-5 (in my case normally, somtimes it is 2-4, or we go from 1-5 who knwos depends alot on the day ect). We all know each other and it is a HUGE group of dogs to have together but they all wreastle and play very hard and wear themselves out after a hour lol.

I still think any breed can live in a apartment. It all depends on excersise and mental stimulation.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:48 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
I spend every free moment taking my boat to Floirda islands (there's never anyone at these islands so I don't have to worry about rotty agression).
um...?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Mommy's Baby Boy

My great dane/lab mix is closer to the size of a great dane and we live in an apartment. He does great, gets one to two walks each day and plays, plays, plays! We keep him gated in the kitchen when we are at work (to avoid accidents) and he just spends that time laying in his bed and playing with his toys. When I get home, I take him for as long as walk as he can handle and to the puppy park at the complex and a few hours later he will generally put himself to bed.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Mommy's Baby Boy

Also, the first thing I did when we moved in was make sure all the our neighbors met Cruiser. Once they met him, they loved him and I don't have to worry so much about anyone complaining about him romping around during his 3am play session.

If your neighbors love the dog, it takes a TON of stress away.