Jack Russell Terriers

hy·per
adj. Slang
1. Having a very excitable or nervous temperament; high-strung.
2. Emotionally stimulated or overexcited.
That fits most of the Terriers I've met. Really, no matter how well yours are behaved, the vast majority that people have seen have more energy and instinct than good sense.

living with a JRT is like living with a mute two year old with a violent streak that never quite makes it to three.
Why not? I know people don't like the word violent used with their dogs, but I've met a grand total of one which was not either bouncing off the walls or dog aggressive. I've had one latch onto a 100lb retriever of mine before.

adojrts

Such a shame that you haven't had the pleasure of meeting good jrts......
instead of a bunch of ill raised, ill trained dogs owned by pet people

Definitely. I'd love to meet a well controlled, sane terrier. I love the athleticism, but it seems so misdirected so often.

My friend has two, one is ok, a bit DA, and the other is a lovely wirehair, but I haven't seen him since he was a few months old. I'll have to go play with that one! (200 mi away).

Dekka

Just try me..
Hmm you all need to meet dekka. Calm, relaxed, doesn't bark much. But can book it when needed. Even Zo (Sizzle) who is my most wired, is very laid back in the house. She is a very different dog if you meet her outside an agility ring, vrs my living room. But I do consider her over the top. She knows the difference between crazy play time, and indoor time.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Pet people ????

I had several replies to this statement, but I have decided not to. When I know that I am replying to very limited knowledge and experience.

Lynn
Isnt that what this thread is about....gaining some knowledge..so why not share???? We not idiots (although by your replies you make it seem so)

ACooper

I don't care for the way you use the term "pet people" Are your dogs not PETS because they do agility or some such?? I am a pet person, and my dogs are trained.........but they are who they are, and most terriors I have met I would call hyper. You don't have to consider the word as an insult. Orson is very hyper.........he has loads of energy. So??

I have read one too many rude comments by you in this thread to take your opinion as anything other than high and mighty.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think she's meaning "pet people" as the type who just get a dog (usually from a store or BYB) to have a dog, think Pedigree is the best food on Earth and generally don't know much about anything when it comes to dogs. They just wanted a pet and didn't put much more effort than that into it.

Dog people are those who know the sort of dog they're getting, look for good foods and activities, understand behavior and realize that having a dog is more than just having something chained out in the yard.

A

Angel Chicken

I do NOT agree. There is a no comparison between a high energy, active dog and one that is Hyper. How many JRTS (not a half bred) have you lived with, trained, rescued and bred??? How many do you know, directly?
At this point I have known a few thousand directly. I have certainly rescued or known hyper Jrts, some were the product of their genetics (breeding) and some were the product of 'no job and somebodies idea of NOT getting off their *** to train the dog or interact with other than throwing a ball. Hyper according to Webster means Excessively.
Good grief if they were so hyper no one could stand to be a trial with them!!!
Try going to the JRTCA Nationals in Maryland in Oct. There is usually about 1800 + Jrts on the grounds on any given day. It's quiet. The ONLY time you will see the dogs being loud and hyper is on the day they hold the Racing.
Even in the line ups (which btw are very long) for Go-To-Ground, you *may* see some dogs over the top.
I have lived with as many as 17 Jrts at ONCE, I don't have kennels although I do have yards for the dogs. But I sure didn't have enough kennels for all those dogs, therefore many of them were in the house until they had their turn out. ALL the dogs slept in the house at night. Most of those dogs were rescues. I've had hyper jrts come in as rescues, but it is amazing how they quickly settle in and calm down.
Btw, I also have neighbors and I have NEVER had a complaint about barking dogs.............

Lynn
I find this rather rude, then the post below that downright insulting.

First of all, I may not own a purebred JRT, but that doesn't mean that I don't have any experience with them. I know quite a few, and have had hands-on experience with them, thank you.

Pet people?

Yes, I am a pet person. I don't know what your definition for ill-raised is, but my half-bred here (who was, surprise surprise, raised and trained by ME, a "Pet Person", without the help of trainers!) is far from ill-raised. She is a quiet, happy, and very well loved dog. Just because she doesn't do agility doesn't make my dog (who is a PET!) any less than yours.

I have read one too many rude comments by you in this thread to take your opinion as anything other than high and mighty.
:hail: :hail: :hail:

Dekka

Just try me..
I think you guys are misuderstanding. When I go with my dogs to the Toronto sportsman show or the all about pet show, people come up to me and exclaim, ohh my JRT could never do this. (as a throng of people come past and pet and talk to one of my dogs calmly lying on the booth) So many people state that they can't take their dogs out in public, as they bite, bark etc. Let alone lie quietly as 100's of people and other dogs pass by.

I don't think that the average JRT is appropriate for the average pet home. THat said very few people that post on this board would qualify as average pet homes. I would not call my dogs hyper (all six are flaked out on the couch) They have energy when needed, but mostly lie around all day. Now I do live on a small farm, so they do get a lot of off leash running (except poor Snip who wants to run to the neighbours and eat their barn cats) Snip is the only one who exhibits behaviour that could be called hyper, within the home.

A good JRT should be active not manic. Most labs I have met are far more hyper than my JRTs. I don't think I could own a lab as they have too much energy for me (talking field bred types for the most part)

adojrts

I think she's meaning "pet people" as the type who just get a dog (usually from a store or BYB) to have a dog, think Pedigree is the best food on Earth and generally don't know much about anything when it comes to dogs. They just wanted a pet and didn't put much more effort than that into it.

Dog people are those who know the sort of dog they're getting, look for good foods and activities, understand behavior and realize that having a dog is more than just having something chained out in the yard.
Thank you, yes that is what I meant.

Lynn

adojrts

I find this rather rude, then the post below that downright insulting.

First of all, I may not own a purebred JRT, but that doesn't mean that I don't have any experience with them. I know quite a few, and have had hands-on experience with them, thank you.

I didn't say you didn't have any experience with them, but limited may be a better word. Limited by not being a breeder, rescuer and someone that has been in the breed for years and has a network of fellow breeders that you compete with.
I ve had experiences with many different breeds, some breeds more than a few, some just a couple...............I don't make a judgement especially a negative one because I happen to have met or trained a few.

Pet people?

Yes, I am a pet person. I don't know what your definition for ill-raised is, but my half-bred here (who was, surprise surprise, raised and trained by ME, a "Pet Person", without the help of trainers!) is far from ill-raised. She is a quiet, happy, and very well loved dog. Just because she doesn't do agility doesn't make my dog (who is a PET!) any less than yours.

That was NOT directed at you or at anyone else on this board. That comes from YEARS of doing jrt rescue, when you get the same phone calls or emails EVERYDAY, 24/7, all hours, calls at midnight, on X-mass day and have dogs dropped at your home from all of the above. Its a great way to start the day, when you are woken up at 6 am to find a dog in a crate with all its stuff on the end of your drive way.............with a note saying please find him a home........or how about countless calls trying to help people that have little or no clue about the breed, how to train/raise etc, but they ALREADY own one??
So if I sound rude or very frank, there are valid reasons. BTW, I find it offensive when people generalize my breed as being hyper....................based on a limited experience with a few dogs that they have met.

I don't think that I am blind................I know (very well actually) several breeders of show Jrts, that produce dogs that ARE idiots, dogs that are hyper and insane but they win in the show ring bigtime. Dogs that I wouldn't have in my home, let alone breed.
I purchased a bitch puppy once...............she won in the show ring, she had an excellent pedigree.........she hunted..........she was nuts, mental, she had a problem..........I put her down. That wasn't an easy decision, as a matter of fact that was one of the hardest days I have ever had to face, still bothers me to this day. That was much harder than even having to look into the eyes of a rescue that you have to put down, because it can't be placed, for aggression.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
The two I knew in high school and university were lunatics.. Down right what most people think of jacks to be.. therefore I thought that's what jacks are. I've briefly met people's jacks at agility but I've spent a decent amount of time with Dekka's.. and Snip has slept in my bed..

The difference seems to be hers have off switches.. and the badly bred ones I met in past did not.. One ex had a jack that could bounce for a good 5 hours indoors, nearly running off walls.. Dekka's run and bounce outside, come in, look for some loving and find somewhere to go sleep until something fun happens or they are needed..

I always thought border collies were the same way go go go go go go go.. Seems I never met ones with off switches when not needed, no matter how hard they were worked daily..

Dekka's furkids actually make me appreciate jacks. And I'd be tempted to sneak one or two into my backpack to take home with me as I leave ;)

adojrts

Ok, I don't know how you thought that I was talking about you, but I wasn't.
But since you did, I am sorry, that was not intended.

My dogs are pets, they are a part of our family, they sleep in our beds. 3 sleep every night with my Hub and I. 2 with our son. The ONLY exception to that is when one of the girls is in heat, because I do have an intact male in the house. If I had to choose between competing with them on any level in anything or just having them. The choice would be easy, they are my dogs. As a breeder on a very limited scale, I don't place my older dogs to make room for new prospects. Thats one of the main reasons why I don't breed more. I know breeders that do that all the time, I don't understand how they can, because I can't. And for those reasons in the network of JRT breeders that know me across N.A I am viewed as a pet owner, that breeds a little, competes a lot, and does some rescue.
I had to quit doing Rescue full time work because it was eating me up. My hat is off to anyone that does Rescue full time and does it for countless YEARS. It is at the same time the worst job and the most rewarding. I don't know how they can keep doing it...........Not being able to help ALL those dogs is frustrating and can make one angry. Dealing with the same kind of people is worse............
So if I get going, its because all those feelings come back (they never are far from the surface) Sorry, no offense was intended to anyone.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I think it's very true that JRTs shouldn't be in dumb hands. I know someone whose JRT belongs in a rubber room. The dog absolutely glows in the dark, bites, snarls and otherwise is completely unfit to be around other living things. The entire thing is the owner's fault. She thought she was getting Frazier's dog or something, I don't know. But the dog is completely out of control and I wouldn't be surprised if he lands in a shelter, which is a total shame. She got it from a breeder, did no training with him whatsoever, and I have to say that the real underlying problem is the dog has a fool for an owner.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Not sure exactly that you have adequately explained what this means, but I'm a pet person. I guess this means my dog is ill trained and ill raised. But I will tell you this. I would pit her manners against your dog's manners any day of the week, and wager on it.

A

Angel Chicken

Not sure exactly that you have adequately explained what this means, but I'm a pet person. I guess this means my dog is ill trained and ill raised. But I will tell you this. I would pit her manners against your dog's manners any day of the week, and wager on it.
Preach it sister!

(By the way, WELCOME BACK!!!!)

Dekka

Just try me..
Thanks Mafia.... But now I will do a head count before you leave (hmm well there is smudge) On second thought I won't do a head count if you don't :D

adojrts

I will repeat my reply again, Yes that is what I meant

Angel Chicken, In case you missed it the first time around, I'll post this again and then I am done with this.

I was NOT directing my replies at you. You are the one that made it personal.
But since you thought it was directed at you, I will say I am sorry again. That was not the intent.

As for everyone getting so po'd about the *pet* comment, again that was not directed at anyone on this forum.

Lynn

Hi! Back to the comments about jack russels being hyper and I think I heard mean..... but I am not quoting so I may have misunderstood. But it upsets me how bad of a rep. these poor dogs have.
I have a jrt and he just kinda fell in our laps and when i told my family. They all told me to get rid of him jrt's are bad with kids, destructive, mean and hard to train. But I couldn't I was already in love, and I am glad I didn't.
He is the best for our home. Great with other dogs, very patient with my two year old boy and a big brother to our lab mix. I love him so much I had to get another, which she comes tomorrow!!
I didn't find that he was hard to train. I just let him know his boundries but that is the only training my jrt has had and it wasn't hard to lay those out. And he knows not to bark or to run off if he sees something interesting, when we go walking he doesn't need a leash cause he heels on command, and I didn't "train" him to do that. I would just call him when I started to get uncomfortable with the distance between us and he decided my side was the best place for him. And I am a "pet person" but I am not offended by that. I get a dog and they are another member of my family. I don't train my dogs to stand pretty on command. My jrt won't even sit if told, not to say he runs wild, he just believes sit and stay mean the same unless there is a treat. But I guess I said enough. Just wanted to add my two cents!

Members online

No members online now.