Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-25-2007, 08:05 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Default Saluki

I love this breed, but, I am interested to know what the rest of you think of them.
Bad, good, fair etc etc?

No worries to those who don't know the breed, this dog is not too skinny. She is in perfect shape.

My Polyvore
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Just try me..

My farrier had one, said it was the best dog he ever owned. I have only met a couple. They seem to be typical sight hounds. Quiet, calm, with bursts of speed.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Snow Girl

They are my favourite of all the sighthound breeds, always have been! Very rustic and very awesome!!! I have two videos of one coursing in the dessert. In the one video he brings down a rabbit in the second he brings down a gazelle. Not for sport but so that his owners can have a meal.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Salty Sea Dog

absolutly gorgeous breed, other than that i dont know much about them other than there aparently rather aloof.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Bored Now.

Gorgeous--one of my favorite breeds as far as appearance goes. Temperament? Well, I have three saluki-like, furry little monsters in my house. They're called cats.

I would never own a Saluki due to the crazy exercise and fencing requirements Saluki owners have talked about. I cannot affor a 10' tall fence that fences in a huge area. Maybe they were exaggerating, but it was food for thought to me.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I don't really care for them. I dogsit for 7 of them, and I would never want to own one. They are very aloof and are more sighthoundish then all the other sighthounds I've worked with (whippets, iggys, greys, borzoi), if that makes any sense. As far as doing their original job, they are amazing.
They do vary greatly in temperment though. One of the dogs has known me for 7 years and as soon as she hears me come into the house she goes nuts! Tail wagging, barking, play bowing like crazy, she acts just like a lab (she also does this with very small dogs and one certain malamute). One the other hand one of the other dogs has known me for about 3/4 years and she is very aloof and doesn't like me petting her or playing with her and she has a very diva-like attitude (she kinda reminds me of RD's Ripley), like everyone should bow in her presence. Two of the Salukis are therapy dogs, but most I know would never make good therapy dogs.
Salukis actually don't need all the much exercise, except when they are puppies. The guys I dogsit get up in the morning, go full tilt around the yard a few times, come in, hit the couch and sleep (...and sleep...and sleep), even the 2/3 year olds. The two puppies (they're 7 months old now I believe) will spend hours outside playing with each other, they just never seem tired.

Cool dogs, but I would never, ever want one.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.