Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Big Dog

Question lactose intolerant

is it possible for dogs to get that? cuz my dog drank milk and after that he started having diarrhea and vomited a lot.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Quigleyfied

yes, just like some people, some dogs are lactose intolerant.

did he get a whole lot at once tho? some dogs, even if they are not intolerant, need to be introduced to dairy products slowly.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Frisky Pup

i was watching this show the other day and they were making treats and they said and if your dog is lactose intolerant you can substitute the milk in the recipe for something like soy milk
Old 06-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Top Dog

When working at the Vet clinic most dogs are lactose intolerant. I find that even if they are lactose intolerant they can still tolerate Yogurt (quite well), Cottage Cheese and funny as it may sound raw unpasturized milk can be better tolerated by lactose intolerant dogs. I haven't tried the raw milk, I just read it in a recent book called Healing pets with Natures miracle cures by Henry Pasternak DVM, CVA .
http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1183
Quote:
Dogs and cats do not have the proper enzymes to properly break down the sugar in milk which is called 'lactose.' You may have heard of people who are lactose-intolerant. They are also missing these digestive enzymes. If the proper enzymes are not present, the lactose remains undigested and tends to ferment in the intestine and cause diarrhea. Some pets can tolerate a little milk, others, none at all. If your pet enjoys and appears to tolerate milk, you can give your pet small amounts. Better yet, give your pet one of the special cat or dog milks on the market that have had the lactose removed.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

I thought it was bad to feed dogs milk?
Old 06-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Puppy Dog

in my biology text from school it says something along the lines of humans being the only mammals that can properly digest milk after they have been 'weaned' from their mother because they (or some of them) have the enzymes to digest it and other mammals do not, although some animals can handle milk in small quantities.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Felurian

Goats' milk is often handled well by lactose intolerant. Yoghurt is a good choice though, when you want to give your dog a dairy treat.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian