Feds Raid Dog Fighting Facility

Boemy

If he is convicted, I think it will be, and rightly so, the end of his NFL career, at least at the high profile position of starting quarterback. The NFL, like all advertising supported sports is quite concerned about image.
I dunno. I was in high school when Mike Tyson was getting towards the end of his imprisonment for rape and I remember this poster some students had put up in the cafeteria . . . "[number] days till Mike Tyson gets out of jail!!" None of the school officials ever took it down, apparently it was fine with them . . .

Can you imagine? The man was a freaking rapist, but all people cared about was that, ZOMG!!!11one, he was GOOD AT BOXING!!!! It's appalling what we will turn a blind eye towards in the name of entertainment.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I dunno. I was in high school when Mike Tyson was getting towards the end of his imprisonment for rape and I remember this poster some students had put up in the cafeteria . . . "[number] days till Mike Tyson gets out of jail!!" None of the school officials ever took it down, apparently it was fine with them . . .

Can you imagine? The man was a freaking rapist, but all people cared about was that, ZOMG!!!11one, he was GOOD AT BOXING!!!! It's appalling what we will turn a blind eye towards in the name of entertainment.
Too true. Your story about the delinquents putting up that poster and the losers who allowed it to stay there is truly depressing.

Yep, look at all of the athletes who have been involved with scandal and crime. And they are still idolized in some sick way. I'm sure Sick Vick will continue to have a loyal following. People always need someone to idolize.

W

whatszmatter

I usually would say that he would walk scott free in this case, but since Federal officials have a 95% success rate when someone gets indicted, I'm thinking they have a pretty good case lined up against him. Most reports are saying that its not his name scattered here and there in the reports either, but that he is named in the majority of it and it gets pretty deep. I'm thinking we're going to see a much less cocky and arrogent Vick in the next few months.

Groch

Gadget Hound
It will be interesting to see how this pans out, but boxing is very different from the NFL in terms of being sold as "family entertainment."

There are already pundits predicting Vick will be given a lifetime ban even before his conviction.

With training camps getting underway, I expect a temporary suspension will happen very quickly.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Yep, look at all of the athletes who have been involved with scandal and crime. And they are still idolized in some sick way. I'm sure Sick Vick will continue to have a loyal following. People always need someone to idolize.
Its not just athletes. In DC they keep reelecting the same guy who is a freaking convicted FELON (for drugs or something). He was mayor, now he's just on the council, but still. Convicted felons can't even VOTE, why can they be elected to something?:mad:

Herschel

Its not just athletes. In DC they keep reelecting the same guy who is a freaking convicted FELON (for drugs or something). He was mayor, now he's just on the council, but still. Convicted felons can't even VOTE, why can they be elected to something?:mad:
Marion Barry. I lived in DC when he was elected to the City Council. Reflects really, really poorly on the local government of our nations capital.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Barry

I heard today that Nike still plans to release the Vick signature line of shoes in August, despite the current news. Sickening. Guess I won't be buying any Nikes anytime soon.

Shocking charges
Indictment against Vick describes unfathomable acts

The indictment handed down Tuesday against Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and three others describes in detail how they procured a property in Virginia for the purpose of staging dogfights, bought dogs, and then fought them there and in several other states over a six-year period. With at least three cooperating witnesses providing the details, federal authoritie compiled a detailed case that traces the birth and rise of Bad Newz Kennels.

But not a single line in the 18-page indictment will generate more rage toward Vick and the others charged -- Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor -- than a sentence near the end. It reads: "In or about April of 2007, Peace, Phillips and Vick executed approximately eight dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road by various methods, including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

In interviews I conducted for an earlier story on the subculture of dogfighting and Vick's involvement, several experts described to me the process of "rolling" dogs. Owners take young dogs, usually puppies, and put them in an enclosed area and see how they react. They prod the dogs and urge them to get angry. If a dog shows aggression toward another dog, that's a positive. If a dog is timid, it is useless. Some fighters give away puppies that don't show the required "gameness." Other owners don't bother with the trouble of finding them a home and simply kill them.

Vick and his three associates, according to the indictment, fall in the latter category. Federal investigators allege that Vick is a murderer of dogs who weren't willing to fight for his enjoyment. Even worse, his actions appear more sinister than most professional dogfighters.

"If you want to kill a dog, why exert the energy to slam him into the ground or drown him? Why not just shoot him, which is the most common method?" says John Goodwin, dogfighting expert for the Humane Society of the United States. "That is insane. These guys, if they did that, have serious problems."

Vick's problems would seem to be plentiful now that he has gone from a person of interest in local and federal investigations to one of four men charged in U.S. District Court in Richmond, Va. with conspiracy to commit interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal-fighting venture. On the Travel Act portion of the conspiracy charges, he faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The dogfighting charges carry a possible sentence of one year in prison and $100,000 fine or both.

Still, even with the gravity of the crimes alleged, Vick's most serious problem would seem to be one of perception. If one believes the allegations against him, Vick is neither a novice dogfighter nor or a hobbyist who dipped his toe into the sport briefly. The indictment alleges that Vick is a professional dogfighter who"sponsored" more than two dozen dogfights. He is not, as he previously said, someone who merely trusted the wrong people. Rather, he is the face of a bloodsport that the majority of NFL fans probably didn't know existed until the property he owned on Moonlight Road was raided in late April. And, now, he becomes the ultimate test for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and his new discipline policy.

"We expect the Falcons and the NFL to take prompt action," Goodwin says. "The message needs to be sent to other athletes who have been involved or are involved in dogfighting that this can be a career ender."

It remains to be seen how the Falcons or the NFL will act, but if they read all 18 pages of the indictment, one can be sure they will no longer give Vick the benefit of the doubt.

According to the indictment, Vick, who was also known as "Ookie," and the three others set out to start a kennel of American Pit Bull Terriers for the purpose of fighting them around 2001. Around May of that year, the indictment states that Taylor picked the property on 1915 Moonlight Road near Smithfield, Va., and Vick paid $34,000 for the land. In that same year, Vick and the other three men began acquiring fighting dogs, purchasing animals in Virginia and other states. There were four dogs from an individual in North Carolina, another dog bought in New York, and six dogs and six puppies from an individual in Richmond, Va.

According to the indictment, in Sept. 2001, Vick and two others purchased four pit bulls puppies, including a male named "Magic" for $1,000 from an individual who has since testified before the grand jury. In 2002, Vick, accompanied by Peace, purchased four pit bulls from another person in Virginia who the indictment says is now a cooperating witness for the government.

The indictment states that in early 2002, the quartet established "Bad Newz Kennels" and even obtained shirts and headbands that "promoted their affiliation" with that organization. They also began renovation of the Moonlight Road property: building a fence to shield the portion where dogfights allegedly occurred and sheds to house the dogs and training equipment. They buried car axles in the woods so they could tie the dogs to them.

Around the summer of 2002, the four men began "rolling" dogs, according to the indictment. At that time, Peace, Phillips and Taylor each killed at least one dog that proved to be a poor fighter. Peace shot a dog with a .22 caliber pistol. Phillips also shot a dog. Taylor, the indictment alleges, executed at least two dogs that didn't test well, shooting one and electrocuting at least one other.

Federal investigators say the quartet began attending fights as early as 2002, and in that year, Vick is first said to have sponsored a fight, between "Zebro" and "Maniac" at the Moonlight Road property for a purse totaling $2,000.

One of the more detailed descriptions of a fight involves a bout in March 2003. A professional fighter, now cooperating with the government, traveled from North Carolina to a location near Blackstone, Va., with his 35-pound female pit bull and a 47-pound male pit bull. The purse was $13,000 a side for the fight involving the female and $10,000 for the fight between the males. According to the indictment, Peace and Vick "represented" Bad Newz Kennels at those fights, which Bad Newz Kennels lost. "Peace, after consulting with Vick about the losing female pit bull's condition, executed the dog by wetting the dog down with water and electrocuting the animal," the indictment reads.

The fate of the male dog owned by Bad Newz is not mentioned in the indictment, but it does state that following that fight, "Vick retrieved a book bag containing approximately $23,000 in cash" and gave it to the winning owner, who is listed as "Cooperating Witness #2" in the indictment......I hope he gets what's coming to him!!!

divagirl

I agree with most of you here and I am so sickened by this I can't hold back the tears. I just looked on MSN today and first article is how dog fighting is becoming increasingly popular. I am sure this article was inspired by the sickos on Vick's property, but nonetheless. I couldn't bring myself to read the article. I can tell you people like this are not considered heroes to me and are not idolized by me or my family. I like to think we are better judges of character than that and choose to idolize people that not only are talented at something, but also choose to use their life, fame or money for something other than criminal and unethical behavior. That said regardless if the media is correct or Vick is wrong the fact is we are forgetting about the poor animals that were tortured not only here, but everyday by ruthless, barbaric, ignorant people. My heart hurts for every single one of them and I really hope this awakens some people and something is done to try and prevent this from continuing to happen all over the world. We can only have hope right???

Members online