Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-12-2007, 05:37 AM
Puppy Dog

Ohh I might try that idea, I have puppy toys everywhere on the floor.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Spot the Difference!

What a wonderful article, thank you!
Time to do some shopping and refill Ebony's toybox!

~THANKYOU Brattina88 for my signature!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Puppy Dog

We have always had rescue dogs at about a year old, so avoided the chewing stage. But now we have a baby Yellow Lab, and she would love to chew everything including the ceiling if she could get to it. So the toy box is surely helping, but you have to rotate the toys as they get bored with the same old ones, the breeder who we got her from told us this. Introduce a new toy every day and put one away for a week or so, and the pup will be happy with that.
We have a big sunroom which we have removed the rug from, (guess why?), and with the bare wooden floor, we give her a plastic bottle and she is so comical with it, like a championshop soccar game! Dont let them have a plastic bottle unsupervised, always put it away when the playtime is over, as they can be broken or split open, use a new one frequently. Once I get my video cam and figure out how to get a clip or 2 on my site or YouTube, I wlll post one here.
Puppyhood is new to us, and tiring but wonderful.
Jane
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Puppy Dog

can a toy be too hard for my 10 weeks old puppy??
Old 11-13-2007, 09:19 AM
:( only one :(

Great post! We've always had toy baskets around the house, one upstairs and one downstairs. As our dogs grew it was apparent how much of a stress reliever they are with them especially for Boomer. You can tell he uses his to relieve his excitement stress when we come home from being away a few hours. He used to jump, bark, nibble our hands and urinate out of excitement but now he'll run get a toy and greet us with his toy in his mouth.

Here's a cute picture of one of the toy baskets we have. I found him in it when he was just a puppy. I wish he wouldn't have seen me coming with the camera because when I first saw him all I could see was his bum sticking up and his head deep in the basket looking for the perfect toy. lol

Even Tilly, who was 6 yrs old when we got her, uses the toys as a stress release. She also loves to play fetch with them.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Active Pup

Thanks for the tips! It has been ages since I've had a puppy this young. Before Captain and Tegan, our dogs, at 10 and 14, had long since "civilized".
Old 08-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Active Pup

Talking We have a toy box!

We have a toy box for our Cavalier King Charles Spaniels! Ever since they were puppies, we keep it full with different bones, toys, and their leashes (for some reason they like to get them out when we go to the door!). They know when they want a bone to go stick their little heads in their box and grab one!

-Katie

Last edited by Saje; 08-09-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Active Pup

This is great advice. I have a toy "basket" that is overflowing. I pick up all of the toys every other day or so and by the end of the day, there is at least 10 toys on the floor. I have 5 dogs and they all have their favorites. Many of the toys are picked out of the basket by my youngest. She is 7 months old and gets bored with one toy pretty quickly. I have lots of toys to keep her busy!

Dogs are just little kids in fur coats

Please visit my Puppy Tips Blog !
Old 08-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Taxiderpy

Having a dog toy basket has saved us. Try raising a 2 week old human baby, and a nine week old puppy at the same time. Through using a toy basket and teaching, he never once chewed on one of our daughter's toys...or anything else for that matter. Just his own stuff.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Active Pup

Would you suggest that I put the toy box in his play pen with his crate and bed? It has a door that I will keep open so he can come and go as he pleases except at night and when we are gone.