Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

A friend of mine has 3 dogs and a cat along with a husband with allergies. He probably is not as severely allergic as your child. They have all leather furniture to keep from collecting the dander, and they've been slowly replacing their carpet with tile and wood. She says they've always had the leather furniture because of the pets and allergy.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 PM
swimming upstream

I'm so sorry the results were positive for allergies--I mentioned before that I went through this with my son--we had 3 cats at that time, and turned out he was severely allergic--causing significant ashtma issues. We did relocate the cats (it's been years, and I still miss them!)---but I will tell you, it made a hughe change in my sons overall health and well being--so while you love your cat, your sons health (and this has an impact on his future health as well--so not to be taken lightly) needs to be your priority. Miss your cat. Love your son enough to miss your cat.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Many times these things do reverse . Don't despair !!! Eliminate the causes and slowly re enter one at a time .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-10-2007, 09:13 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Just wanted to say I'm sorry. Some things are just hard.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Active Pup

Have you tried a very good air filteration system? I don't mean the cheap-ones so to speak but the ones that actually hook up to your heating and air unit. Also might want to try a good air filter for your ac unit.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Taxiderpy

That is so tough! At least you can let your parents have the cat until "quarantine" is up, and you'll have the opportunity to try reintroducing him.

The food allergies are hard. I used to take care of a girl that could not have wheat, rye, barley, soy, dairy, tree nuts, or chocolate. We made her lots of delicious stir fry with fresh fruits and veggies though, and meat and fruit. Try looking online to see if there are any allergy support groups for folks with food allergies in your area. They are actually pretty common. If you don't see any online, try going to the local health food store and asking them if they know of any. All the places that I have lived had some kind, and they would have awesome "allergen free" potlucks and swap recipes. Plus it's good moral support to meet other parents of children with some big food allergies and swap ideas on how to cope, make hassle free meals and snacks etc.

You could always look into getting a chinchilla! We raised them for 9 years, they are very hypoallergenic. And fun too. A close friend of mine adopted some from me because she was allergic to cats, dogs, hamsters, rabbits, mice, etc. But the chinchillas she could snuggle up to her face with no problem.

Keep us updated on how things go! We will keep your son, kitty cat, and future dog plans in our prayers.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry about this. Allergies are weird. My niece was terribly allergic to cats. She would get life threatening asthma attacks. But she kept her cat anyhow. (I don't recommend that) But anyhow...she has gotten a lot better in recent years. She's in her 30s and maybe not as severe as your son's allergies, but things can change.

I use to be allergic to cats and my horses when shedding. My eyes would swell closed, I'd get hives. And I out grew it, had cats and the only time I was bothered was with one of the cats and if I didn't wash my hands after patting him and if I touched my eyes or face.

So, there is hope that he may outgrow them in time. However, for the time being, I think having your folks take the cat is the only option. I sure do feel for you. I know how hard that must be.

I think you got some great suggestions, like the filtration system. How severe is your son's allergy to the cat? What happens to him?

So very sorry....
Old 07-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

The bad thing about allergies is that they can develop pretty much any time throughout one's life. The good news is they can often disappear this way as well.

I'm allergic to dogs and cats as well. I started taking a couple prescription pills when I was in middle school since we had dogs & there was no way I was allowing my parents to get rid of them. Cats used to make me break out in hives & look as if I had pink us (complete with crusty pus....ewe). But now I'm a vet tech and have few problems with animals as long as the area is well ventilated and cleaned properly on a daily basis. And God knows we have a buttload of dogs in our home.

I'm sorry that you and he are going through this. It does stink.

EDIT: I wanted to add that studies have shown that continued exposure to these animals actually makes things better over time. In fact, infants exposed to a dog in the home (or better yet, multiple dogs), have actually shown to have a greatly reduced chance of asthma, allergies, & that wheezing some infants make while breathing occasionally. My child should be in the clear.