Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 06-24-2007, 06:52 PM
CAOgirl's Avatar
CAOgirl CAOgirl is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 91
Default

Well if you are responsible with a guardian type dog then you would be responsible with guns... your lack of not being able to properly contain a firearm makes me weary with owning guardian type breeds...

Guns are in a safe or have a trigger lock when not being used...

To be honest I dont care what kind of dog you get... Just make sure you know what your getting in to
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-24-2007, 07:07 PM
BlackDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOgirl View Post
Well if you are responsible with a guardian type dog then you would be responsible with guns... your lack of not being able to properly contain a firearm makes me weary with owning guardian type breeds...

Guns are in a safe or have a trigger lock when not being used...

To be honest I dont care what kind of dog you get... Just make sure you know what your getting in to
I do not like guns. Plain and simple. I do not want to own them. I do not want to learn to use them. It's my opinion and choice. Not everyone has to like guns and keep them if they want protection. Protection is not the only reason I want a dog. If that was the only reason, I'd just get a body guard.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Sunnierhawk0's Avatar
Sunnierhawk0 Sunnierhawk0 is offline
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Default

Well if you dont want to own/or learn to own a gun, then a gaurdian breed is not the breed for you because with some of the breeds, they are basically the same as having a loaded gun.

I own 2 Rottweilers, and a bullmastiff, and what everyone has been telling you is correct, you better know what your doing before owning a guardian breed. My dogs are socialized from the word go, but do I ever completley trust my dogs ? No.... and you shouldn't because you NEVER know what is going to set a dog off.

I do not own my dogs because I wanted a "weapon in a dog coat" I love my dogs, thier personailty, and everything that makes them the breed they are. But I do know that if the situation was to arise, my dogs would rise up as well. Its not something I taught them or they learned in a class, its part of many years of focused breeding and bloodlines.

Think twice, and then think again before you go and get yourself a dog that is out of control and someone on chaz mumbles the "i told you so..."
__________________




"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
BlackDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnierhawk0 View Post
Well if you dont want to own/or learn to own a gun, then a gaurdian breed is not the breed for you because with some of the breeds, they are basically the same as having a loaded gun.

I own 2 Rottweilers, and a bullmastiff, and what everyone has been telling you is correct, you better know what your doing before owning a guardian breed. My dogs are socialized from the word go, but do I ever completley trust my dogs ? No.... and you shouldn't because you NEVER know what is going to set a dog off.

I do not own my dogs because I wanted a "weapon in a dog coat" I love my dogs, thier personailty, and everything that makes them the breed they are. But I do know that if the situation was to arise, my dogs would rise up as well. Its not something I taught them or they learned in a class, its part of many years of focused breeding and bloodlines.

Think twice, and then think again before you go and get yourself a dog that is out of control and someone on chaz mumbles the "i told you so..."
" the Center for Disease Control and Prevention reports that the guns kept in the home for self-protection are 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill an assailant in self-defense. (Kellerman, Journal, Trauma, 1998)"

"A national average of 289 people die of gun shot annually."

"In 1997 and 1998, at least 27 people died as a result of dog bite attacks (18 in 1997, and 9 in 1998)."

Guns are much more dangerous than guard dogs. I will not keep a gun! I will be getting this dog from a breeder with a life time health warrenty. I will only get a older dog with some training or a retired champion. I will be taking this dog to many independant professional training classes over the years I have him/her.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Sush's Avatar
Sush Sush is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Posts: 822
Default

My last thought on this...a Rottie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Sunnierhawk0's Avatar
Sunnierhawk0 Sunnierhawk0 is offline
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
My last thought on this...a Rottie
As much as I love and adore this breed, Im sorry but most apartments ( I do beleive you siad you were living/moving into a apartment) wont allow Rotties amoung other dogs.

*wont promote my breed for this situation*
__________________




"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 AM
noludoru's Avatar
noludoru noludoru is offline
Bored Now.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnierhawk0 View Post
As much as I love and adore this breed, Im sorry but most apartments ( I do beleive you siad you were living/moving into a apartment) wont allow Rotties amoung other dogs.

*wont promote my breed for this situation*
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said a thing.


BlackDog.. how about this. When you move into your new apartment you get an older or a low-energy dog--of any breed, but not a guardian breed. Something with a nice loud bark and pearly whites. When you have some serious dog experience then revisit a guardian breed, but maybe start out with that breed with an older rescue. IMO this would probably work best for you. If you have a nervous system disorder and can't stand for long periods of time (I have that as well) then it's probably not the best idea for you to get a high-energy dog right off the bat. I learned this the hard way.

And, without some dog experience, I don't think any reputable breeder would sell you one of their retired dogs. Breeders invest massive amounts of time, money, and love into their dogs, and I know of very few who give hem up when they're older, because they are family members. But from what I've read in this thread, no reputable breeder who loves their dogs would sell to you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
And it's a turbo so it gets good mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 06-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Sunnierhawk0's Avatar
Sunnierhawk0 Sunnierhawk0 is offline
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said a thing.


BlackDog.. how about this. When you move into your new apartment you get an older or a low-energy dog--of any breed, but not a guardian breed. Something with a nice loud bark and pearly whites. When you have some serious dog experience then revisit a guardian breed, but maybe start out with that breed with an older rescue. IMO this would probably work best for you. If you have a nervous system disorder and can't stand for long periods of time (I have that as well) then it's probably not the best idea for you to get a high-energy dog right off the bat. I learned this the hard way.

And, without some dog experience, I don't think any reputable breeder would sell you one of their retired dogs. Breeders invest massive amounts of time, money, and love into their dogs, and I know of very few who give hem up when they're older, because they are family members. But from what I've read in this thread, no reputable breeder who loves their dogs would sell to you.

__________________




"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM
BlackDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
If you have a nervous system disorder and can't stand for long periods of time (I have that as well) then it's probably not the best idea for you to get a high-energy dog right off the bat. I learned this the hard way. .
First of all, not all guarding breeds are high energy. Some are medium energy. I said I'm looking for a medium to low energy breed. Not a low energy breed.

Second of all, you do not know ANYTHING about what type of nervous disorder I have, much less how it affects me or my being able to train a retired champion dog. You do not know what treatment I'm getting for it, the name of the disorder, when and/if its temporary or long-term, the medications I'm not for it, how those effect me. You do not know how long I can stand on my feet, or what type of standing causes the symptoms, or what strategies their are for coping will standing. You do not know how sever the condition is, how often the symptoms come, how predictable they are. You do not know what type of activities trigger the symptoms and which ones don't!

Just because you have a disorder of the nervous system doesn't mean you know squat about mine. Do you realize how many different types of disorders of the nervous system there are???? Even if we did have the same one, which is unlikely because mine very rare, no two people with the same condition have the exact same symptoms, severity, limitations, treatment, coping strategies, medications, etc....and that makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in what those people are able to do, much less their ability to train a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
And, without some dog experience, I don't think any reputable breeder would sell you one of their retired dogs. Breeders invest massive amounts of time, money, and love into their dogs, and I know of very few who give hem up when they're older, because they are family members. But from what I've read in this thread, no reputable breeder who loves their dogs would sell to you.

BlackDog.. how about this. When you move into your new apartment you get an older or a low-energy dog--of any breed, but not a guardian breed. Something with a nice loud bark and pearly whites. When you have some serious dog experience then revisit a guardian breed, but maybe start out with that breed with an older rescue. IMO this would probably work best for you.
I have dog experience! You do not know anything about what dog experience I have! I am NOT a newbie! I am NOT a average dog owner! I have trained 75 pound German short haired pointers, large animal aggressive mixes, newfies, a German shepherd and several small dogs. I will be taking this dog for training continually throughout the rest of its life.

STOP ASSUMING I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT I'M DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly, I'd like to thank you all, or most of you, for making it so easy for me to leave. I've been a member of this forum for years and have never been treated like this, or have seen anyone else be treated like this. This use to be a good forum with friendly, knowledgably, and caring members that were able to get their points across without belittling and assuming they know everything about the OP's situation when they really didn't have a clue. Now I see it is mostly full of ego-centric, closed minded people who look for the slightest chance to throw their pre-conceived notions about dog care/training/ownership at you without knowing the person's situation and/or dog experience.

I'm all for education in a positive, friendly, non-belittling manner. However, this is not what's going on here. I first just answered your questions. That was fine. No big deal. Then I kept getting the same question over and over. I answered them all again. Still the same questions continued. Than it started bothering me. If you’re trying to find out something, don't beat around the bush and keep asking the same questions over and over. I never failed to answer all you questions no matter how many times you asked them. I re-explained myself many times, no matter how many different ways you asked the same thing or how crude you stated it. People who have something to hide stop answering whatever someone is asking them. I did NOT do this! Even though you said I'm not qualified to own a guarding breed because I have no experience with dogs/dog training (Which, again, you assumed this and it isn't the case!), I still tried to explain myself the best I knew how. Even when you said I can't handle a guarding breed because I can't handle a gun, (AGIAN, you assumed this! I'm against gun ownership for, not only myself, but everyone, accept the military. AND I brought in logical proof why I feel this way!!!), I still tried to be at least somewhat sensible. But now you are assuming I can't train a guarding breed because of my health, when you don't even know ANYTHING about my health, (other than not being able to stand for fighting classes.)You do not know what condition I have, what about standing in fighting classes activates my symptoms, how long they last, what happens during them, or how/if they would make me unable to take dog training classes, etc..(FYI--They don't!).

If you say you are doing this because you love dogs "so much", than you'd be trying to do anything to help them. This includes not bashing prospective owners into the ground and assuming they can't handle ownership because of non-existent reasons you are making up that do not apply to my situation.

If you love dogs so much you'd be happy to share your knowledge in a positive and inspiring way that makes others want to seek out your advice, learn more, and makes them see the points of your information, not your ego/attitude.

If you love dogs so much you'd be making every attempt to know as much as you can about their situation so you can guide them to the best answer. If you didn't understand something you'd just tell the person you aren't sure what they mean and ask them to explain again. Not keep asking them in a condescending way or assume the worst possible situation.

If you love dogs as much as you say you do, you'd do that because you'd know that's the best, and most effective, way of getting your points across and helping owners and their dogs.

That is not what is happening in this forum any longer. Therefore, this is no reason for me to be here.

Good bye.

Last edited by BlackDog; 06-25-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Sunnierhawk0's Avatar
Sunnierhawk0 Sunnierhawk0 is offline
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Default

ROFLMAO

what in the hell was that.....

I can't beleive your response to Nol... he/she was in NO way trying to say they knew SQUAT about you!!!

Maybe its best you do leave with that attitude

Byebye.
__________________




"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site