Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
House Of Jurai

If you cannot afford to spend $1500.00 for a dog you should seriously reconsider getting any dog. The reason I say this the initial $1500.00 is but a drop in the bucket over the lifetime of a dog. Everytime you go to a vet expect to spend $200.00. Depending on situations, you could end up in the vet a lot. Routine care like feeding, grooming, toys, training classes etc. ad up super quick.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Of Jurai View Post
If you cannot afford to spend $1500.00 for a dog you should seriously reconsider getting any dog. The reason I say this the initial $1500.00 is but a drop in the bucket over the lifetime of a dog. Everytime you go to a vet expect to spend $200.00. Depending on situations, you could end up in the vet a lot. Routine care like feeding, grooming, toys, training classes etc. ad up super quick.
That's kind of brutal. Even my show cocker spaniel isn't close to that price tag. Just because my dog wasn't a grand and a half I shouldn't get one either? I also don't always spent 200 at every vet visit.

Yes, be prepared for the need to spend money on a pet. But it doesn't need to be that extravagant or you shouldn't get one.

I see the point fully when people want a 'free or cheap' dog.. but I didn't get that from this thread honestly.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Last edited by MafiaPrincess; 06-14-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Twin 2.0

Ok, that's a bit much. I cannot afford to spend $1500 at once on a dog. That's why I have a rescue dog that initially cost me $175. I've spent a goodly chunk of money on him since then and he is never lacking for awesome food or vet care, but there was no way I could do $1500 at once. I rethought getting a particular dog (Cavalier) just for that reason.

However, if you're looking at breeders and wanting good stock, expect to pay at least $700 if not more.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Harumph™©®

I didn't pay $1500. Should I offer my breeder more money to prove I should have a dog? jk.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:26 PM
House Of Jurai

OK, lets ad some things up.

Obediance training: $500.00-$800.00
Health clerances (OFA,CERF,BEAR) $600.00-$1000.00
Routine Vet Exam (Office Visit Only) $65.00-$100.00
Doggie Day Care-$300.00 p/mnth

Now, lets say Fido is playing in the backyard and snap, steps on a gopher hole and pops an ACL. That surgery by itself goes from $1600.00-$5000.00.
Post operative therapy (hydro) $400.00 per month
Accupunture or massage $200.00 per month.

Let's say you have a molosser breed and the dog bloats. Emergency surgery starts at $2000.00.

The intial cost of the dog be it $20.00 or $20,000.00 really is immaterial. The dog will costs substantially more than that throughout it's lifetime.

IMHO, if you cannot afford $1500.00 "all at once" that tells me that you cannot afford emergency vet care so you would not be able to buy one of my dogs.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I don't like any local doggie daycares.. They were all skeazy... My year of agility training only touches on your random ob price tag.. I'm not breeding and nor are most of the people who replied, so I don't need health clearances thanks..

So far, you aren't making much of a point and with the attitude I wouldn't want one of your puppies no matter what breed they were..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-14-2007, 11:40 PM
House Of Jurai

Bottom line, if you cannot afford the initial price of the dog you probably cannot afford an emergancy surgery. I read about people putting down thier dogs because they cannot afford to repair a torn ACL. That is not OK with me. As a pet owner you owe it to your dog to provide all care in case of an emergency. Unlike a human ER a vet will not bill you, you have to pay up on the spot. People need to ask the question if in the worst case scenerio can you afford to get Fido the emergency surgery? If the answer is no, you cannot afford a dog. Sorry.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Harumph™©®

Well the truth is, sometimes people's financial lives change. A medical crises in the family can break a family in a very short time. A job loss can occur. Nobody but NOBODY can predict their own financial situation for life. We can only go on what our situation is now. One could say that unless you know you can afford having kids for the next 20 or so years, you shouldn't give birth. Obviously, only a person who is seriously attuned to the Psychic Hotline can safely say that they will always be financially secure. I've known some millionaires who went down the tubes. So being so smug isn't very wise.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:11 AM
House Of Jurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscasMom View Post
Well the truth is, sometimes people's financial lives change. A medical crises in the family can break a family in a very short time. A job loss can occur. Nobody but NOBODY can predict their own financial situation for life. We can only go on what our situation is now. One could say that unless you know you can afford having kids for the next 20 or so years, you shouldn't give birth. Obviously, only a person who is seriously attuned to the Psychic Hotline can safely say that they will always be financially secure. I've known some millionaires who went down the tubes. So being so smug isn't very wise.
Of course, problem can occur. However, I really am not talking about that. Owning a dog is very expensive, one of the most expensive things one can do. I believe the idea of dog ownership is a huge responsibility and one must weigh in everything in order to make an educated decision.

A good rule of thumb is to keep 4x the price of the dog in a "dog saving account" just in case of a medical emergancy.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Wow, $1500 is a lot of money for a dog. O_O I've never seen any dog that's not super champion or byb/puppymill/designer dog cost that much. Again..... O_O wow! I'd never pay that much just to get a dog, but then again I'm not into showing.

My dog just had surgery, it was about $1,200. My vet IS letting me do payments, so that IS possible depending on the vet. It wasn't an emergency trip though.

And jsut because you can't pay $1,500 up front doesn't mean you shouldn't own a dog. There are many ways to quickly gain money (loan, and if your smart start a saving account early). Not having it right now isn't something that should keep you from getting a dog! Being commited and knowing there will be costs is something you should realize, but $1500 up front is a bit of an exaggeration.

Most people are not going to go to doggie day care, won't need any of those health certificates, and may or may not go to obedience, though it probably won't cost a lot over a long period. Vet visits don't happen too often unless your dog does get sick. The surgery is a possibility, but isn't something that will necessarily happen. And not many many people have mollaser/large breed dogs.

Dogs are expensive, though I'm not sure it's as expensive as you're trying to make it out to be. Especially since most of that money isn't spent all at one time, it's not like once each year you go out and buy $500 worth or food plus vet bills and everything else. You do it weekly/bi-weekly or whatever. It's spread out and makes it much easier.

Let's say this, for the typical week, I spend money on dog food. That's a typical week. Sometimes I may buy a new toy or collar or bed or whatever, but most week's it's ONLY dog food. That's not that expensive.