Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Fila Man

A whole bunch of questiona and I will give you my OPINION on some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Okay.. I know we've had a zillion "Renee tell us about the Grrrls" threads, but I have some questions that I'm almost positive weren't asked. I can't remember them all... but I'll add as I go.

What do you think of breeders who sell every pup they have as breeding quality except the few marked as "pets" and why?

$$$$

What about breeders who don't socialize their pups before they go home to new owners?

It depends on the age at which they are sold, anything older than 4 months should have been socialized to some degree IMO.

How was it bringing your fila puppies home? Did they hate you at first, or were they wary of you?

Mine were both 7 weeks old when we got them home and were reserved for a few days but ultimately babies and wanting hugs and love

Are all Filas as intelligent as Kharma and Shiva?

They are remarkably in tune to your emotions and can "read your mind". Mine are both true working stock and from a very young age have shown incredible hunting herding and guardian instincts while working together in a manner which is a delight to see.

Why is there such a HUGE variation type still, even though there appears to be many dogs considered breeding stock?

I've seen a Fila that honestly resembles a cow on one Fila breeder's website.. I believe it was Eshabeta. Why on earth did they breed her? I know temperament and ability come first in determining breed-worthiness, but she is rather extreme.

I think the two questions above can to some degree be answered together although I might upset some people although this is not intended just my opinion. I believe that much of the Fila that are bred today are bred to serve a market and therefore to make $$$. For many societies bigger is better and therefore many breeds of dogs are bred large at the detriment of the breeds ability to perform its original function.Much of the American breeding stock comes from MG in Brazil where the animal is known as a Cattle dog. It is still Fila but bred heavy to work cattle at the homestead. Other Fila that is used to hunt and work the expanses of the farms are not as heavy and are subsequently faster more agile and have far greater stamina. Traditionally, as was mentioned in another post, the Fila was bred for purpose and a good working dog was bred to produce more good working dogs when not being concerned in any way as to the animals resemblance of "type or standard" A good dog was a good dog. I believe I know the picture you are talking about. Is it the one where the dog is on leash with a lady standing in front of a vehicle? If so I agree with you - what kind of work could that animal possible do? None, it is just bigger and I guess supposedly beter. Here where fila are primarily working animals a dog that weighs more than 75 kg - 167 lb is considered undesirable due to concerns over stamina and speed while explaining that the animals here are of hunting stock and not of the cattle type. Ultimately I think Renee summed it up perfectly "If it walks like a Fila and thinks like a Fila and works like a Fila" then it is indeed a Fila.

How are your Filas with strangers petting them on neutral territory? Why? They are slightly more tolerant due to training but nobody can pet them at all other than their first familyHow do they react when people come onto your property? Once invited at the front gate and correctly introduced they will allow entry but will not take their eyes off of the guest. A guest may at no time make any move towards our daughter of any kind. A guest may at no time take anything from the property unless closely supervised by either myself or my wife.How about when you bring people into your home? Do you have to lock them up!? I will lock them up only when young children are visiting. With adults we allow them to be free but never alone with the guests. Generally we will be entertaining on the pation / verandah and any guest who needs to use the bath room will be followed while one of them will guard the entrance to the corridoor that leads to my daughters bedroom.

Fila mixes--I read in one article (only one, mind you.. couldn't much more info on it) that they are unstable. Fact or fiction? I'm inclined to say fiction, but I really have no grounds to judge upon.

I also have a Fila x Rottweiler mix that was bred for purpose. The purpose being that cultural beliefs here are that a black dog is the Devils dog and should not be crossed or approached in any way. Male fila x female Rotti will generally give all black pups and so we chose one such animal for security puposes in this very high crime risk country. My female is a very very stable animal and the most protective of my daughter, there are no surprises with this animal and is feared by far more people than the Filas. She is equally if not more ferocious than the Filas. Please remember that my dogs are pets but also critical to the security of my family and I am a very responsible owner and not a hooligan.

What do you think of breeding for Filas with less ojeriza?

Someone has already said it," if you can not handle a Fila do not buy a Fila"

Okay.. all for now. More when I remember. I apologize if I asked any dumb ones, I only got a few hours of sleep last night.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Harumph™©®

Quote:
How about when you bring people into your home? Do you have to lock them up!?
I will lock them up only when young children are visiting. With adults we allow them to be free but never alone with the guests. Generally we will be entertaining on the pation / verandah and any guest who needs to use the bath room will be followed while one of them will guard the entrance to the corridoor that leads to my daughters bedroom.
Holy cannoli. How do friends and family feel about this? To be really honest, if I were a close friend of a family with two Filas that kept their eyes on me every second, had to fear making the "wrong" human move, and they followed me to the bathroom, I would be very disconcerted and not just a little afraid. Probably disconcerted enough never to return in spite of the fact that the last thing I wanted to do was rob your home or harm your daughter.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Felurian

Quote:
if I were a close friend of a family with two Filas that kept their eyes on me every second, had to fear making the "wrong" human move, and they followed me to the bathroom, I would be very disconcerted and not just a little afraid.
They are watchful, but they don't have a hair trigger. Like the Talamasca, "we watch, and we are always there." They know their business, and if someone does something out of the norm, they will remind that person of their presence and typically stand between the unauthorized person and whomever they are watching over. What I have heard the most about the way mine guard me is how loyal and devoted and charming they are - even though I am 1000***37; safe as long as they are nearby.

They are guardians, not attack dogs. If necessary to put mouth to someone, they prefer to hold without injury. They will go farther if necessary, but they really do have great discretionary abilities, and face it, their mere presence is more than enough to stop 99% of all potential problems.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Snow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscasMom View Post
Holy cannoli. How do friends and family feel about this? To be really honest, if I were a close friend of a family with two Filas that kept their eyes on me every second, had to fear making the "wrong" human move, and they followed me to the bathroom, I would be very disconcerted and not just a little afraid. Probably disconcerted enough never to return in spite of the fact that the last thing I wanted to do was rob your home or harm your daughter.
If someone is acting incredily nervous around a Fila then it is wise to lock that Fila up. A person on ede will make the dog on edge and in a sense make them more unpredictable as they may be quicker on the trigger. A respsonsible guardian breed owner will tell you the "rules" before you come over, or at least will greet you outside the walls, tell you the rules, and then bring you inside. If you follow the rules then you follow the norm for the dog and the dog will be more likely to accept you. Three basic rules are:

1. Do not stare at the dog
2. Do not reach out and pet the dog or make sudden irratic gestures
3. Do not stand over the dog

Basically ignore the dog and pretend he doesnt exist. Once the dog has "accepted" you (IF he accepts you) then you will be freer to lax on the rules to some degree, depending on the dog.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM
CASSA

Spent 12 days with Primo and Thor 2 great filas.

My conceptions about the breed was WRONG because I too based my opinions on what others said on boards.

And because they are the only rare molosser breed I have NOT handled.

They DO not have quick triggers are very patient dogs, do not bark much like lgds.

They are pushers and leaners in which they would more than likely push a nervous person AWAY from Mamma before bite them.

I have pics of 70 Filas crowded into a space with hundreds of people only one had a muzzle.

My dog knocked a sign over into the Fila ring and only the pups went off the adults were like WHAT ever..

The only thing that is hard about them is they are hard to read when compared to LGDS or GSDS they dont raise too much fuss thus I found them harder to read when a threat pushed it like at the border..

One woman said to Tina can I take a pic of Thor Cynthia dog she said sure next thing you know the woman dropped down to one knee and put her arm around the fila . All of us were like HOW ****.
So Cynthia put her hands in Thors mouth and this tells him some idiot is going to act stupid and the dam dog smilled for the pic.

I took was nervous when we were having dinner and one of the Filas got loose and charged towards me. That was the begining of the Trip at the end I want to own a Fila.

When ever i got out of the Van I said hello to the Filas when I got back in with their owners, and the end Thor fell a sleep on my lap and Primo would take hot dogs from me.

Ive met much sharper LGDS then Filas last week.

Oh well that is my vote Filas RULE ..
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Bored Now.

Sorry it took me so long to reply... I started to, and then forgot to finish it, and never came back. Thank you all for answering my questions so well, and so thoroughly. You guys really went above and beyond what I was hoping for, so thank you again!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 PM
House Of Jurai

Overall the Fila is not sutable for 99% of potential owners. They are tough guard dogs. Unless you live in a rural setting and really have a reason to fear for your life a Fila probably isn't for you. Too much can go wrong in an average home that would make a Fila a liability, not an asset.

IMHO
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Of Jurai View Post
Overall the Fila is not sutable for 99% of potential owners. They are tough guard dogs. Unless you live in a rural setting and really have a reason to fear for your life a Fila probably isn't for you. Too much can go wrong in an average home that would make a Fila a liability, not an asset.

IMHO
Oops. Better get rid of my fila then... living in the city and all... no fear for my life... the potential for wrong...

*someone tell me they sensed the sarcasm*

Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

All I can say is that Renee's Kharma is a pussy cat !! Love her !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Are you dead yet?

House of Jurai, how many Filas have you met? I don't know a single one that I would think of as "liability" any more than a shepherd, collie or Rottweiler. Filas are a unique breed, but they're still dogs. They have a strong work ethic and want to help their owners, but they aren't the exotic monsters people make them out to be.

I have border collies. They're tough sheepdogs. To anyone who doesn't have sheep, a border collie is probably going to be more of a pain than an asset. Is that accurate?

I have no sheep. Hell, I don't even have a farm - I have 5 acres in a suburban area. I can't imagine life without my border collies and they live fulfilling lives with me. Technically, I shouldn't have them because I don't have a *need* for them. God forbid that I like them and want to have them! And when I move to Mexico, I will have a Fila too, even though I might not have a ranch that needs guarding, or slaves that need catching (my slaves would never run away ).

I have a problem with people referring to a certain breed as a liability. It's not the breed. If someone can't control their dog, then their dog is a liability. A 150lb liability is obviously more significant than a 15lb one, but the breed doesn't have much to do with how dangerous the dog is. How the owner handles the dog has everything to do with it.

Sorry for the OT rant..