Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 PM
labs4life

Default Over-anxious greeting

My lab has a problem with getting a little too excited when greeting people and especially other dogs. He is adopted so I don't know much about his puppy life other than I assume he wasn't socialized enough with other dogs. I have been taking to the dog park to work on his socialization, but here is my issue:
When we get out of the car (before entering the park) he spots the other dogs and goes immediately in to an overly excited state pulling on the leash, jumping around and even barking. He has NEVER been aggressive towards other dogs or people, but I can see that his excitement makes some of the other owners nervous and may be misinterpreted as aggression. My initial thought was to wait until he calms down before entering so I don't reward his excited behaviour. Once he is in the park he calms down and plays nicely with the other dogs. We have the same issue when greeting other dogs on a walk.

I use a clicker for training, but any tips would be appreciated. I have found that he has zero interest in any kind of food reward when he is in this excited state. Even if he calms and sits and I click he doesn't acknowledge the food. If we move forward towards the gate it's back to crazy excitement.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 PM
But please, call me Barb

I no longer take Dante to the dog park but he used to do the same thing.
I finally went to the if you don't behave in a manner fitting a young gentleman you don't move forward.
I swear at first it would take us 10 minutes to get from the car to the gate and that was just across a very small parking lot.
I would say that he had it figured out in a week.

Excited out of control - She stops and we don't move.
Walk nicely - I get to go in the park
Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Yum...

Hershey does the same thing, he gets overly excited over everything! And I am thinking we socialized him poorly. But he does have a little. And he is starting to mind more. But, above, what Filly said is great! You'll get more advice though! Good luck!

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

We have the same issue, and it takes us 10 min to get anywhere usually.
She pulls, we stop dead until she sits. Take another step, she pulls again, we stop, etc etc. If she doesn't stop pulling, take a step backwards, and again, until she stops and sits.

She's been well socialized, but she loves people so much that she tries to hang herself to go see them.