Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-17-2005, 10:07 AM
YorkieLover YorkieLover is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 355
Default

What are the age differences in the 2 dogs.?? Cocoa is a puppy and Myles is almost 7 years old or older. That's why I'm so surprised he plays with her as much as he does. We didn't even adopt them so Cocoa would have playmates, we adopted them so the boys would have a good home. So them 2 playing together is a bonus at our house.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-17-2005, 10:35 AM
kathisi's Avatar
kathisi kathisi is offline
Drellie & Venus
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 21
Default

I have two puppies that I adopted at the same time. Drellie was 6 weeks old when we got her and Venus was 3 months old. Drellie is now 5 months and Venus 7 months. They play in the way that you describe. Sometimes Drellie will grab Venus by the tail and pull on her. As Renee750il suggested, when they become too rough, I tell them to cool it and call them over for some petting or treats. Drellie is usually rougher than Venus and I've had to call her down more often. My son (10 years old) likes to play wildly, so when I have to call down Drellie, he will take her outside and run her a bit and Venus can relax and get some one-on-one attention from me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

MC2 ....please don't play rough with Pepper....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:26 PM
mc2 mc2 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
MC2 ....please don't play rough with Pepper....
Why? He seems to like it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 PM
mc2 mc2 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieLover
What are the age differences in the 2 dogs.?? Cocoa is a puppy and Myles is almost 7 years old or older. That's why I'm so surprised he plays with her as much as he does. We didn't even adopt them so Cocoa would have playmates, we adopted them so the boys would have a good home. So them 2 playing together is a bonus at our house.
The age differences are only about 1 year apart.. one is 1.5 years old, the other is 2.5 years old... Pepper is a schnauzer.. he's pretty playful by nature.. Tobi on the other hand is the most affectionate dog ever.. he follows me EVERYWHERE i go and only pays attention to Pepper once Pepper "annoys" him enough..

But hopefully after sometime they will start to play with each other more.. the only thing is Pepper is only interested in Tobi when i am at home and whenever i give Tobi attention. I spied on them once by locking them in the bedroom and watching them through a webcam on my computer.. They completely ignored each other. Then once i opened the door Pepper was all over Tobi again!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:44 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

My question is how do you " play rough " with Pepper ? This only riles him up and he will do the same with Tobi. If they don't do this when out of your sight..it's obvious they both don't want to constantly play. Just chill out and let them be friends!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:55 PM
mom2two mom2two is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 63
Default

I agree with a few of the other posts, the non neutered part could be a large cause of the issue. That is why when we were looking to parent our second dog we talked with our vet who mentioned the opposite sex was easier sometimes to bring in. So that is what we did, we had a female at home and brought home our male. My female was not thrilled for a few days, but they are the best of buds now. She is spayed and he is neutered. I think what helped us is that Gidget was 2 1/2 almost three when we brought Dexter home, he was an 8 week old puppy. She may not have adjusted as nice if the dog we would have brought home was an older dog. She takes a little time to adjust. And it was her home for a lot longer than it was Dexter's (at the time) There will always be little tiffs, but it is that way in humans too.
Do you plan on neutering Toby?
__________________
Beth

My bichons Gidget & Dexter own me
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-17-2005, 09:46 PM
mc2 mc2 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
My question is how do you " play rough " with Pepper ? This only riles him up and he will do the same with Tobi. If they don't do this when out of your sight..it's obvious they both don't want to constantly play. Just chill out and let them be friends!
When i play rough i kind of roll around on the floor with him and push him aroudn and let him nibble at my hands.. he's always enjoyed playing like this.. is it not good?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-17-2005, 09:47 PM
mc2 mc2 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2two
I agree with a few of the other posts, the non neutered part could be a large cause of the issue. That is why when we were looking to parent our second dog we talked with our vet who mentioned the opposite sex was easier sometimes to bring in. So that is what we did, we had a female at home and brought home our male. My female was not thrilled for a few days, but they are the best of buds now. She is spayed and he is neutered. I think what helped us is that Gidget was 2 1/2 almost three when we brought Dexter home, he was an 8 week old puppy. She may not have adjusted as nice if the dog we would have brought home was an older dog. She takes a little time to adjust. And it was her home for a lot longer than it was Dexter's (at the time) There will always be little tiffs, but it is that way in humans too.
Do you plan on neutering Toby?
Yup, we do plan to Neuter Tobi.. he's been sick since we have got him iwith a runny nose and a hack/cough.. he's on some medication now but once he gets better we're going to bring him in to be nuetered.

I hope that does make a difference!

Thanks again for all the input, it is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-17-2005, 10:01 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

Well, you're only telling him to roll Tobi on the floor and nibble on him which Tobi obviously doesn't like. The only "rough" play I accept is tug of war with a rope type toy...but you always have to win and there can't be any aggression or the play stops. Yes, growling in play is normal , but no snapping or nipping.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site