Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Default What kind of dog would be good for us?

We have been considering a family dog for awhile now, a year or so. I'm fairly hesitant, since I have a preschooler and a toddler, so I've been taking it very slow and really researching breed traits, what to look for in temperment, the grooming/training/other special needs of the various breeds, basically I just don't want to make a mistake.

I really like the things I've read about Bichons. I want a low shedding dog, that is good with kids, and that will be happy in the house with us. The only thing is< i have 2 boys, and while they are respectful and gentle with animals, I'm feeling like a smaller breed dog just isn't the best idea for young boys. I have visions of them rolling around on the floor with our dog, I guess. Maybe that isn't realistic, this would be our first dog so I have no idea. I was thinking 25-50 lbs would be a good size.

I love Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, but they don't sound like the best breed for someone who doesn't know very much about dogs. Also, I haven't been able to find any around here. I've been watching petfinder for almost a year. I can't spend $1500 on a dog either, and they seem to be pricey.

So does anyone here have any insight? Am I just over analyzing this? I tend to do that.