Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

What kind of bones do you suggest...the kind that they can actually devour w/meat on them or big bones that they just gnaw on?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Show Dog

I would recommend something like this

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54787

My dog sure love it more than any rawhide or greenies. He "hu" me like hell when I try to take it away : )

One thing I dislike is that there was some blood stain around his month after crewing
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Top Dog

I go raw bones too , They don't mind the flies and ants ! I start in garage or outside and when clean of meat and dry , they can come inside . Hard to find today though ! No more butchers around ! Mine have always devoured raw hide too quickly ...one big chunk can swell 3 times it's size and cause major blockage ....not worth the chance to me . Small dogs may be a different story though .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I give raw bones outside and inside he gets pig ears, bully sticks, and pig snozzles............Caiza has a sensitive belly to rawhide
Old 06-06-2007, 11:55 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I go raw bones too , They don't mind the flies and ants ! I start in garage or outside and when clean of meat and dry , they can come inside . Hard to find today though ! No more butchers around ! Mine have always devoured raw hide too quickly ...one big chunk can swell 3 times it's size and cause major blockage ....not worth the chance to me . Small dogs may be a different story though .
Tell me about it Grammy! I searched every grocery & small shop in this town.........NOTHING! I finally ran a Google and found a small mom and pop shop the next town over...........the town I work in actually!! They butcher and have great bones and liver........2 minutes out of the way on my way home from work, it is PERFECT!

I know that big food chains (Kroger for us) carries big soup bones in the "soup season" (colder months).........so stock up!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Snow Girl

What bones you choose depends on what type of chewer you have. If you have a "bite and gulp" chewer you will want to get some nice big knuckle bones with or without meat on it. If you have a more patient chewer then you can get pretty much any size of bone you want so long as it isnt small enough for them to think they can swallow it. Igive my guys knuckle bones, leg bones, ribs, back bone, really whatever the butcher sticks in the bag! The rib tips they can chew right through and will eat the entire thing.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"