Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-05-2007, 12:50 PM
woof!

Question beagle and basset colors

I never saw a beagle wit a white head before until this one cool but weird http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6817029

In the standar only says "any hound color" same wit the bassets

I'm just wondering if this color is accepted the face or the head could be white?

Also I have seen some that have most black in the face, is accepted too?

The colors have to be tricolor or
bicolor (orange white only?)
Old 06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

The dog has a white head because it's an older dog. As a puppy the dog probably had a partially brown head but with age it has whitened around the face and head as most dogs (especially hounds) will do If you read the discription the writer says she is a "little or alot grey" meaning her color has faded. Cute little girl though!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Big Dog

I myself am a huge hound lover, and Sush is dead-on the mark. This little gal is a senior beagle, and the older ladies and gentle-hounds tend to whiten considerably in the face/head as they age, and enter their "golden years." Bassets tend to do it too.

Sweet little girl...I'm sure in her younger days she had the standard tri-color beagle markings, with a brown or black face/head.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Puppy Dog

Yes, the picture is of an older dog. My basset hound is almost 10 now and her face is turning grey with lots of white hair replacing her brown. But on another note I have seen basset hounds with a white face. Those were the black and white hounds and not the tri colors though. I would say though if you are not planning on using your dog as a show dog, then who cares what colors are acceptable to other people. As long as you love your dog, that is all that counts.