Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i would ask the shelter if they have any idea what hes mixed with and if they could put that as her predominant breed on her paperwork, i see some bully typeness to her but shes uber cute and if you can get them to list any of the other things they think is mixed into her on the paperwork or list her as a mixed breed it would help.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!

I do agree, some shelters just have NO clue. I once saw a 4 month old GSD labeled as a ACD! I mean, come on people, there was no mistake, the pup was full GSD. Sometimes I wonder if people just woke up one morning and decided they were just going to randomly mark dog breeds.

"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Old 05-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Hmm. . .I do see bully breed in her, I think. And pits can have prick ears. Elegy, a member on Chaz has a purebred pit with prick ears.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Taxiderpy

Well, it's a moot point now because my landlord freaked and said no dogs that are controversial with insurance. She was actually a little sad about it too, because she thought Lola was really cute and her most favorite dog ever was a pit boxer mix.

The guy at the shelter who was trying to help us with the adoption runs a pit rescue, and he even said he didn't see any pit in her. He agreed with us, that it was some toy bully breed like french bulldog or maybe a boston terrier. I wish we had a pic of her from the side, she's very petite, not as extreme as an italian greyhound or chi, but definitely not the stocky muscular build of an acd or pit.

And yes, this shelter has no clue. They charge $135 for purebreds, and $80 for mutts. In the kennel next to hers was a obviously purebred blue neo marked as a sharpei mix, and several down was a purebred looking black and tan coonhound marked as a shepherd mix. The sad thing is, the helpful guy told us that they actually PAY someone to come into the shelter from Phoenix, who is a "breed expert" to designate what dog is what..... It's totally ridiculous and he was ticked off that person gets paid to misidentify dogs. HE knew that the dog in the kennel was a purebred neo, but they aren't allowed to change it once the paid "Expert" makes their determination.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

I normally don't go along with the guesses on "pit bull" mixes, but I would label that one as a "pit bull" mix. With the merle coat pattern, it tells me that there is definitely another breed (or probably 2 more) in there as none of the "pit bull" breeds (APBTs, ASTs, SBTs, BTs) carry the merle gene.

This dog could very well be a Catahoula/"pit bull" mix.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Taxiderpy

We thought maybe even, not so much "pit" but a catahoula bulldog mixed with something really small. The catahoula bulldogs often are mistaken for pits and they have the merle pattern as well.

Catahoula something is a good bet around here anyway, as they are extremely common in this neck of the woods. I had never even heard of them before moving here.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
We thought maybe even, not so much "pit" but a catahoula bulldog mixed with something really small. The catahoula bulldogs often are mistaken for pits and they have the merle pattern as well.

Catahoula something is a good bet around here anyway, as they are extremely common in this neck of the woods. I had never even heard of them before moving here.
Catahoula Bulldogs are Catahoula x American Bulldog mixes & are always larger than the dog in question as AB's are a large breed whereas APBTs, ASTs, SBTs, & BTs are medium sized breeds.

Even so, the AB is still categorized as a "pit bull" so the dog would still be a "pit bull mix" regardless of how you look at it.

And IMO, it's much worse to adopt out a dog under false advertising which sets both the dog & the owner up for failure & puts unneeded risks out there.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I was looking through Petfinder and came across this dog. I was thinking "Wow, she looks familiar. . ." for a second.