Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Taxiderpy

We've been working with two greyhound rescues in our area. Part of the problem is greyhounds do not have an undercoat, so they are very susceptible to heat and cold. Here that's what it is. One half of the year it is 115 in the day and 80 at night. The other half it is 70 in the day and 35 at night. A staghound or deerhound would have a bit more protection against those kinds of temperature fluctuations and extremes at least.

From what I was able to find about staghounds, is that some lines are very recent, even first generation, mixes between a deerhound and a greyhound, sometimes with borzoi thrown in for good measure. There are also some extremely old lines that have been maintained since the revolutionary war, but beats me if I can find a breeder with those dogs. General Custer had one that he coursed the day before Little Bighorn with his pack of greyhounds. I think that Psy is right, we'll probably have to travel to some live coursing events and start asking around.

Either that, or try and find a wire coated galgo for adoption. Ah, I love the variety of dogs out there!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Top Dog

here get yourself one of these, basically a staghound in my book

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8378830
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6862243
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8213589

there are actually a lot of Scottish deerhound mixes on petfinder, that might be your best bet. There were a lot of them mixed with greyhounds and borzois like these http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8334260

petfinder does not know of the breed staghound so you can't search for them, but many of these are called staghounds (like three of the ones I posted). SO search for Scottish deerhounds and borzois.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Staghounds are not a new breed. George Washington kept and hunted with staghounds. The problem with them is that the sport they are bred for is now illegal in most places, so you will find it hard to locate a breeder who will talk to you.

Washington had three staghounds when he was president, Sweet Lips(!!), Vulcan, and Scentwell.

Last edited by drmom777; 05-26-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Puppy Dog

if your looking for a high energy dog my beagle just turned 8 last week and you would think he was still a puppy.. also my mom used to have a springer spaniel/lab mix who had a lot of energy
Old 05-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Taxiderpy

No! No beagles! Sorry, they are lovely dogs but definitely not for me. I can't think of any scenthound that is. Anyway, I am not looking for high energy. I am looking for a laid back sighthound, but with more stamina than a racing greyhound.

Thanks for the petfinder links! I did see some of those dogs already and inquired about them, but they are over 1500 miles away and the rescues will not ship them. I do see a couple of new ones on there though, thanks!

Then again......I just made the mistake of going to the shelter and they have a white wolfhound mix, he is so sweet! The poor guy has a gimpy leg. He looks exactly like a purebred irish wolfhound, but he's only about 50 lbs I'm guessing. Proportioned just right and everything though. I only hope they put him up for adoption before they put him down. He was all sad and crying so I petted him, then I asked the employees if I could take him out in the play area. They said, "Absolutely not! He's not up for adoption!" So I asked when he might go up, and they said IF he does, it will be some time in June, but he might not because he is old and has a gimpy leg. This is a yucky shelter, where they just hose down the dogs when they poop in their cages and get poop all over themselves because they don't have any room. Also, if he gets kennel cough while there he will be automatically euthanized.

Grrrr... I know we want a hiking companion, and a gimpy wolfhound mix isn't exactly it...but the poor guy! We're trying to get the shelter to be more forthright with info on him and let them know someone has interest in adopting him at least. Maybe his limp isn't something permanent either, it could even just be a sprain.

Sorry for the rant. It just seems like people working in animal rescue would have a little more interest in helping folks who want to take an old gimpy animal off their hands so they don't have to kill it.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Taxiderpy

Success! Cold Wet Noses rescue swooped in and pulled him out! And they contacted us to foster him. It turns out this guy is only about 9 or 10 months old, very underweight, and has hot spots. Also, his limp is a muscle sprain that comes and goes so it should heal up soon. The head of the rescue owns a wolfhound, and thinks that he is a wolfhound/deerhound mix.

He is a real sweetheart, but it will take some time to see what his personality is like. He spent all last night with explosive diarrhea and vomiting, and he's pretty low key today. I think between his stomach and his leg it will be a while before we can know what his personality/energy level is really like. He's also afraid of our broom and raised hands. We'll probably adopt him as long as he turns out to be workable with the cat. If not, the rescue says they'll have 50 people lined up to adopt him because of his breeding. But he's out of that place, and off the cement floor. Hopefully his leg will be better soon.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

Congratulations!

Poor dog must have a had one hard life I'm glad he's with you now and hope he fits in well!

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Aww, I'm glad the boy got out. Good for you for helping him out. It sounds like this may be fate stepping in with the right dog . I hope he continues to feel better.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Aww, poor little guy.
Humongous kudos for taking him in- he's so lucky for that chance.