Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Taxiderpy

We've been working with two greyhound rescues in our area. Part of the problem is greyhounds do not have an undercoat, so they are very susceptible to heat and cold. Here that's what it is. One half of the year it is 115 in the day and 80 at night. The other half it is 70 in the day and 35 at night. A staghound or deerhound would have a bit more protection against those kinds of temperature fluctuations and extremes at least.

From what I was able to find about staghounds, is that some lines are very recent, even first generation, mixes between a deerhound and a greyhound, sometimes with borzoi thrown in for good measure. There are also some extremely old lines that have been maintained since the revolutionary war, but beats me if I can find a breeder with those dogs. General Custer had one that he coursed the day before Little Bighorn with his pack of greyhounds. I think that Psy is right, we'll probably have to travel to some live coursing events and start asking around.

Either that, or try and find a wire coated galgo for adoption. Ah, I love the variety of dogs out there!