Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Feet Licker

Default Husky Help

Im gonna be getting a husky puppy in a few months. I figured I would read up on the breed and training as much as possible before she arives. Do any of you know any good Husky info sites around...links on training them, or do you have expirience with the breed yourself? If so, I would love to hear from you! I need all the info I can get! I love huskies and I cant wait to learn about em...
Basil, Angel and Mossy (rats)
Sunny (cockatiel)

Sugar, the new puppy!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I know that they have tons of energy, and they are one of the harder breeds to train. i have read that they are not for most people unless you are abnormally active and very outdoorsy.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Feet Licker

Me and my brother love to be outside, and we have this whole summer vacation to give it tons of attention, so that wont be a problem. We also own about 10 acres of land, so that should not be a problem for the boundless energy!
Sunny (cockatiel)

Sugar, the new puppy!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

thats great to know! i was worried about you for a minute there
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 PM
The dog is never wrong!

I have 10 Huskies myself, feel free to PM me with any and all questions. There's so much about them that I just cant sum it up in a paragraph or two.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Feet Licker

Okay, I will be sure to ask you if I have any questions about em...but I have one right now. What is their over all behavior towards other dogs and animals, like small dogs and cats?
Sunny (cockatiel)

Sugar, the new puppy!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Snow Girl

Are those 10 acres fenced??? It is an extreme rarity for a Husky to be able to be trusted 100***37; offleash. I own two Siberian Huskies myself and have worked/race with many many others. I would be more than willing to answer specific questions, but as Megan said there is just way too much stuff to say! LOL

Some sites you could begin looking at are www.everythinghusky.com www.sleddogcentral.com

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Snow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches 'n Cream View Post
Okay, I will be sure to ask you if I have any questions about em...but I have one right now. What is their over all behavior towards other dogs and animals, like small dogs and cats?
Siberian Huskies have a very strong prey drive towards smaller animals so it is highly recommended that if they are to live with them, that they be raised with them right from puppyhood. But sometimes even that isnt enough. I know of one pair of Huskies that accepted the cats that lived with them while they grew up but when the owners tried to bring in new cats, they considered them fair game and ended up killing them.

My one male was heavily socialized with small dogs from puppyhood and tends to be more careful when around them but I sill wouldnt trust him by himself with a really little dog like a Yorkie. All it takes is for the Yorkie to zoom by to trigger the prey drive and thats the end of the Yorkie. My other male I dont trust with little dogs at all.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Feet Licker

Hmmm... that might be a problem. I have two grown cats and a Pom. Oh and about the 10 acres thing... I ment like long walks on a leash. I know I will try to train the new puppy to come when called, but I know it will be harder to train the puppy outside because of so much distractions. Thanks for the links, I will be sure to look around at those websites. I think the puppy will come to live with my family when it is about 8 weeks old, sometime in June, and hopefully that wont be to late to raise the puppy with cats and a smaller dog. Peaches isnt that small. Shes about 2 feet long and a foot off the ground.
I will have to ponder over that problem for a while...
Until then, any info on them is very appreciated!
Sunny (cockatiel)

Sugar, the new puppy!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:04 PM
The dog is never wrong!

8 weeks isnt too old to be introduced to cats and small dogs. As long as your pup grows up with them, they'll probably be just fine together.
Infact, my pups are scared of our cats! All it takes is one impressionable pup, and one angry cat, and you have a life long fear, lol. (A very tramatizing experiance for them!)
And then you have the adult huskies (never been raised around cats), who would love the thought of chasing down and killing cats and other small furry creatures.
Here's some more Sibe links for you to check out:
http://www.shca.org/shcahp2b.htm
http://shusky.hypermart.net/husky.htm
http://www.homelesshusky.com/homeless.html