Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-11-2005, 05:44 AM
BusterLove

Default I have been dying to ask you guys...

what is obediance as in the competition?
what does a dog need to learn and would that be a better place to start buster also.

and i just wrote all this in another forum so i will copy and paste, i just want to let you know how my walk with buster went today

thanks, I started teaching him "focus" roday and he grasped the concept really well. He is still getting the idea, but so far he figures that if he looks up at me when i ask him to, he gets a treat. And taht brings me to the next breakthrough, usually he is too stressed to be bothered by treats, i will try to reward him and he will just spit them out and keep going. Today he really looked forward to them, they are different from what i usually use (and more expensive) but they are getting reselts

also, at the start of our walk we had a lot of problems with dogs, in a ddition to walking past the 5 fenced dogs, there was a woman walking by with her two and also a GSD came out just to say hi, i dodnt want to but i yelled at it to go home, i didnt want buster to start something he couldnt finish. So after all that stress, i took him off the track a little and did some basic obediance, just sitting him and telling him to drop, rewarding him and then off we would go im so happy about today

Old 06-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Felurian

Sounds like you and Buster had a great workout!

That encounter with the German Shepherd was sticky. You don't want Buster to get the idea from you that it's good to be aggressive toward the German Shepherd, but you sure didn't want him to start something! Maybe the next time you meet up with the GSD you can get Buster to sit, then turn and walk the other way or go around. At some point, after Buster's gotten more desensitized, you can have Buster sit and give him a treat and give the GSD a treat (if he seems friendly enough). If you can get to that point with other dogs, it will be a good object lesson to Buster showing him how to be friendly instead of perceiving threats everywhere.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-11-2005, 08:19 AM
BusterLove

yeah, i just knew that if buster started a fight, he wouldnt stand a chance, but i know i can't yell anyhow, next time ill just keep walking