Rawhide question

Irish

I used to buy Bear a store brand rawhide (he likes the long skinny ones, shaped like a short pencil). Anyway, he loves these things, they are his passion. I would give him one a night and he thoroughly enjoyed it - kind of like a smoker having that cig after dinner thing. Anyway, I stopped buying them because they must've started making them cheaper or something because I became concerned because they were like shattering in his mouth and he would kind of act like it hurt him. I think they were like splintering or something. It scared me. But now I feel bad for him because he loved them so much. Is there a good rawhide out there? He has no interest in the big ones, he likes just the long thin ones.

EliNHunter

I've got mixed emotions about rawhides. I used to give them to my dogs ALL THE TIME. Then I see that they're made with formaldehyde and cause cancer. I got scared altogether and stopped giving them :(

I now just give treats of PupCorn from time to time (Peanut Butter Flavor!). Better safe than sorry. Especially since I lost my two beloves within a year of each other to lymphoma...

For the good chewing affect, I now only buy butcher shank bones...

I'd like to add a little more information regarding the rawhides. Not all rawhides are cured with formaldahyde only those manufactured out side of the United States will be cured with this stuff. American made rawhides are not cured with the formaldahyde because the FDA prohibits it's use for curing. However, rawhide does not digest in the dog's stomach and can cause blockage of the bowels if they eat too much of it. If your dog likes to chew try getting him raw bones from the grocery. If you can't deal with the raw stuff, just give him a carrot to chew on or a yam, they're sweet and when he's done with it, you can just throw it away, or wash it off and put it in the fridge till tomorrow.

Good luck

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Get thicker rawhides. My 3 dachshunds had chewed them there whole lives, and the thicker ones last longer and dont shadder. Just make sure to take it away and throw it away when it become small enough to swallow and choke on.

Saje

Island dweller
I'd much rather give my dogs a frozen soup bone to chew on. I can get three of them from my local grocery store for $2 and they love them!

ohmai

Saje said:
I'd much rather give my dogs a frozen soup bone to chew on. I can get three of them from my local grocery store for $2 and they love them!
frozen soup bones.. Would they be cooked bones or raw?

I like Mordy's and Saje's idea! Raw soup bones and dried "jerky" tendons are also awesome treats. You can also get dried pork tracheas at some feed stores. Both much more healthy than yucky ol' rawhide.

Irish

Thanks everyone, good suggestions! I'm sure Bear will appreciate your input! :)

Athe

My favorite chew items for my dogs are frozen beef bones, femur, knee etc. Frozen turkey necks and chicken necks, Ox tails. I don't care for Lamb chops, at least the ones I have given my dogs have splintered and yes they were given raw. I have given my dogs Lamb legs with all the meat still on them with great success.

Members online

No members online now.