Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyone View Post
I feed Canidae kibble and Primal raw together in meals. No problems here
It can be done, but again it is really unnecessary.
I don't know why someone would feed both.

MBG
Old 04-21-2007, 09:51 PM
But please, call me Barb

midnightbirdgirl,
I don't have the freezer capacity or feel like I have the knowledge to balance my own raw diet at this time. I also don't have any place in my little 900 sq foot house to put a freezer dedicated to the dog
At this point in my life I can't afford to feed a 100***37; prepared raw diet, hence both.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyone View Post
midnightbirdgirl,
I don't have the freezer capacity or feel like I have the knowledge to balance my own raw diet at this time. I also don't have any place in my little 900 sq foot house to put a freezer dedicated to the dog
At this point in my life I can't afford to feed a 100% prepared raw diet, hence both.
Hi FillyOne, I don't have an extra freezer either. And raw is not very complicated. I was a bit nervous about it in the beginning as well. But with all that is going on in the pet food industry, I am so glad I rely on myself than others, to make sure my dog is healthy. Trust yourself and I am sure you will do fine, much better than those we all trusted so long for our dogs health.
It is, I find cheaper to feed raw than prepared. (I did a bit of the prepared raw stuff in the beginning as well, I think many of us do).
I only have one 39 lb dog to deal with, so I can buy a few pounds a week and that fits fine in my freezer, with all our other food.
You need to feed your dog 2% to 3% of the dog's ideal body weight, so a 40 lbs dog would be fed .8 to 1.2 pounds of raw meat and raw bones
covered in raw meat per day., 20% of their diet needs to consist of offals (organ meats and the like). So really it is not that much, and it is pretty cheap. Of course you need to adjust accordingly as to their individual activity levels.
I am not a BARF feeder, as dogs in the wild shake the belly of their prey and do not ingest much plant matter. The occasional vegetable matter is okay, but harder to digest, so she gets little. Yes, their are different schools of thought here, and Summer gets the occasional table scrap and an occasional cooked meal. Nothing is set in stone, just we do not feed any store bought dog food, not now, especially.
I am glad at least you are doing part raw, I hope one day, you are confident enough to go whole hog (no pun intended)
BTW you have one beautiful dog!!
MBG