Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-16-2007, 02:41 AM
Active Pup

Default my beagle pees on my bed!!!

my 1 year old beagle pees on my bed, constantly! ill let him out many times a day yet he will still jump on the bed and pee. after he does it he will get scared... so he knows he has done something wrong. why does he do it and how can i fix this?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Rebel With Cause

I would not allow him to be in there. Take away the incentive to do it.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Active Pup

well i spend most of my time in my room and hes usually there with me. so thats kind of unavoidable. do you happen to have any ideas why hes doing it?

he also pees in the kennel sometimes too... i thought they dont like to sleep in their own urine
Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 AM
and Spy.

He does not understand he is doing something wrong.

He has connected your reaction (frustrated, angry) with when you find him on the bed or when you go into that room. He does not understand that you don't want him to pee, he just understands mom going into room=her angry.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

I would not let him in the bedroom either. Have you used an enzyme cleaner on the bed every single time immediately after he does so? If not then the scent most likely is still there and that is why he keeps returning. About the kennel--how small is it? If he is peeing in his crate it shoudl only be big enough to turn around and lay down--no extra room at all--otherwise they can go in one area and lay in another.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Puppy Dog

Didn't you have the same post somewhere else? Please tell I'm not nuts..
Andrea

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51372

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think of you
Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Our female beagle Bonnie (RIP) used to do the exact same thing! We just stopped allowing her to sleep in anyones bed. She wasent alowed in the bedrooms period.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Active Pup

he DOES know hes doing wrong cause i give me a slap on the butt, and hes hides... so he does know that he shouldnt pee on the bed.. and he has to be supervised because hes always getting into trouble(eating garbage or any food). + hes always hungry. he will eat anything and everything.( i feed him 3-4 times a day)
Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Your dog is only a year old. If you can't actively supervise it, it needs to be crated or somewhere safe. A year old isn't necessarily old enough to have free roaming. And at this point I'd guess your mattress smells liek a toilet at least to him. Not fully his fault now that it seems ot be habit.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Salty Sea Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle36 View Post
he DOES know hes doing wrong cause i give me a slap on the butt, and hes hides... so he does know that he shouldnt pee on the bed.. and he has to be supervised because hes always getting into trouble(eating garbage or any food). + hes always hungry. he will eat anything and everything.( i feed him 3-4 times a day)
simply put...HES A BEAGLE! sniff and eat, thats what they do.

he DOES know hes done something wrong, he just doesnt know WHAT. just cause he hides does not mean he understands WHY hes in trouble.
dogs arnt like children, you cant say to them "you ped on the bed thats bad" and they understand.

and by "a slap on the butt" your actually taking 20 steps backwards, physical punishment doesnt work, he doesnt know WHY your hitting him, just that he must have done something to upset you and your now mad!

This could eb the reason hes peeing on your bed, it could very well be submissive urination, he knows last time he was up there he got a smack and told off so now when hes on your bed he might be submissivly urinating to say "look your the boss please dont yell at me.

the ONLY ways to fix these problems.
1: no more allowing on the bed. the bed is a place of privlaged, your the dominant member and thats the highest spot, by letting him on your bed with you then telling him off for being up ther (again he doesnt understand that peeing on your bed is WHY hes getting introuble and the getting in trouble MIGHT be the reason for the peeing) if hes in your room with you, let him have a blanket next to the bad but dont allow him on your bed, if hes not allowed on the bed, he cant pee on the bed...problem solved.

2: no more slaping him on the butt, this is a general plea, most trainers will now tell you physical punishment is NOT nessicary and the dog by that point has no idea what hes gettign punnished for

3: if you allow him on your bed and catch him in the middle of peeing, a frim no then take hold of his collar lead him off your bed and outside to his normal potty spot. tell him to go potty and praise him if he does, this way hell associate peeing on your bed as bad (as opposed to being on the bed = bad) and know that if he needs to go he has to go outside

4: if he pees and you dont catch him...well its your own fault you wernt watching him close enough, dont shout at him as he wont associate the action and the words at that point, instead calmly put him on the floor (or out of the room) and clean the pee with an enzamatic cleaner...YOUR at fault you simply wernt watching close enough.

Peeing in his crate can be a number of things, the first that comes to mind is he REALY had to go, noone came and let him out and accidents happen. just because a full grown dog CAN hold their bladder for 8 hours does NOT mean he should have to! frequent potty breaks.
If hes peeing frequently enough that it seems he cant hold his bladder for longer than an hour, have the vet look him over it could be a bladder infection which makes them need to pee, often!

as for eating from the garbage, HES A BEAGLE, his nose tells him somethign smells good in there and thats all that he knows. simple solution, if you cant watch him, he needs to be in a secure area where he cant get to the garbage!

Beagles are a hunting breed, they follow their nose and can sometimes be VERY stubborn. my mum had a beagle ggrowing up that had "selective hearing" he only listend if they had something more interesting than the trail he was currently sniffing.

be patient and persistent and please be kind! dont just assume because he goes and hides he knows WHAT he did wrong!

as for the always hungry part, hes NOT always hungry. i see SOOO many overweight beagles becuase theri owners say the same thing "hes always hungry so i give him some extra" beagles are one of the gluttons of the dog world, they LOVE food (and anything that smells remotly like food, my mums parents beagle ate a candle cause it smelt like cookies) its NOT because they are hungry, its because mmm that smells good i want it.

He shoudl be eating enough that he stays at his ideal weight. split it into 3 smaller meals throught the day to give him a sense that hes getting more, but dont make the meals larger, he should be at an optimal weight.
Then give him a job to do, play games with him that involve what he was bred to do. hide his favorite toy or some treats and help him search it out using his nose, play hide and seek. Take him for a long walk in the park and instead of walking for walking let him sniff everything...heck let him lead you for a little while. if hes bored, he'll get himself into trouble. your job as his person is to keep him engaged and occupied.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets