Originally Posted by dr2little
Sophie swallowed a very large piece of one right in front of me and finally threw it up 3 days later totally intact. Since her stools seemed normal and she didn't appear to be sick in any way I had assumed that she digested it.
The Vet said that she could have died, I brought it to them to show them when she finally tossed it back up.
It was huge, stunk to high heaven and none of us could believe that it didn't look any different than when it was swallowed. They kept it to show other clients the dangers of greenies.
From what I understand, they're less dangerous but worse for them ingredients wise.
I give my dogs the Zukes Ridges and they do completely digest. As with all ingestable bones/chewies, they can be a choking hazzard so I always supervise.
Herschel loves those!! And if you give the carrot Z-ridges then you'll see that there is evidence that they digest...
By the way, the new Greenies are chewy. I never fed one of the old ones but I believe they were harder? Herschel polished off a new one within 5 minutes. It came free in the mail, but I would never buy them.