Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-01-2006, 03:35 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I think they drop the 'bull' just to confuse me
That really doesn't make much sense lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 02-01-2006, 03:43 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsicard
There are many different types of the Bully breeds that are used as Boar Hunting Dogs - hence called boar dogs or boar hounds. Key ingredients of the breed are agility, tenacity and strength. Dogos, ABs, Bandoggs and other bull breeds excell at this "sport". You can find more information about Boardogs or Boarhounds here. Some pictures may be disturbing.
Wow, rottweiler mixes, grey hound mixes, doberman mixes, and cattle dog mixes were even used!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:49 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88
I think they drop the 'bull' just to confuse me
That really doesn't make much sense lol
Doesnt make sense to me either, lol.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

In Florida (and maybe other states??) They are using pits and boars to fight calling it hog-doggin'....makes me sick!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Puppy Dog

An AmStaff and a Staffy are two totally different breeds. They have the same origins, but went two different ways. The AmStaff, like everything else is America, are bigger and a little wider. The Staffy has British origins, and are much lower to the ground, but still have that deep chest and girth. They are often confused with each other, and with an American Pit Bull Terrier, which is a totally different breed unto itself. All three have very subtle differences, but they are there. The term "pit bull" is a generic term that applies to all bully breeds, but just to confuse everyone a little bit more, the APBT is also refered to a "Pit Bull". Very confusing, and I hope I didn't screw anyone up! Check out akc.org for the different standards between AmStaffs and Staffys, but unfortuntly, APBTs are not an AKC recongized breed.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:02 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by groominggal
An AmStaff and a Staffy are two totally different breeds. They have the same origins, but went two different ways. The AmStaff, like everything else is America, are bigger and a little wider. The Staffy has British origins, and are much lower to the ground, but still have that deep chest and girth. They are often confused with each other, and with an American Pit Bull Terrier, which is a totally different breed unto itself. All three have very subtle differences, but they are there. The term "pit bull" is a generic term that applies to all bully breeds, but just to confuse everyone a little bit more, the APBT is also refered to a "Pit Bull". Very confusing, and I hope I didn't screw anyone up! Check out akc.org for the different standards between AmStaffs and Staffys, but unfortuntly, APBTs are not an AKC recongized breed.
People who breed APBT would rather not have the breed recognized by the AKC. I think it would be a bad thing.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Molosser

I have always heard AmStaff used in reference to the American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffy or Staffy Bull in reference to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The Bullterrier is another one and is fondly known as the egghead.

MolosserDogs | MolosserGroup | Must Have Pets
Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Salty Sea Dog

staffordshire bull terrier, affectionally known as the staffy, staffy bull or nanny dog. i personally have found finding a "REAL" staffy bull (like those you find in the uk) very difficult here in the US. many of the staffies here look more more like the amstaff than the english staffy.

they are smaller, lower to the ground and tend to have a wider head from my personal experience.
they are absolutly stunning, in my opinion their ears should ALWAYS be natural even in the US as they are in the UK

the American staffordshire Bull Terrier, often known as the AmStaff

see what i mean about the narrower head and slightly longer muzzle. ive NEVER met a natural eared amstaff. they tend to be taller in stance and overall larger than the "little" staffy

then the american pitbull terrier (apbt) ive seen anything from the look of a staffy to amstaff to anythign inbetween and completly different lol. all the APBT's ive ever met tend to be leaner/slimmer especially around the face.

then theres the bull terrier...

which is obviously different lol!

i personally LOVE staffies, i like amstaffs and pitties too but LOVE the staffy personality
i adore bull terriers too! there such clowns!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Chihuahua Mum

Quote:
On another note, the original name for the Great Dane was the boarhound.
Yeppers and, if we are to believe that J.K.Rowling actually did research into Hagrids dog breed before choosing one, I would suggest that this is exactly the breed she meant him to have. Because he is a half giant after all. No use a half giant having a tiny dog, right?

But the dog in the movie (well dogs..I'm sure there is more than one), is not a bandogge, it's most definately a Neapolitan Mastiff. It's the only reason I went to see the first movie (although now I'm hooked on the series). LOL

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic