Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
Buddy Biscuits...?? I know they are in a box like that...??
The ingredients in those aren't so good. Partially hydrogenated fats, etc. We used to use them as training treats for Herschel when he was a baby but too many would make his stool soft.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Top Dog

I think anything in moderation is okay as long as the dog's main diet is a healthy one. I personally feed the Canidae snap biscuits as the nightly treat. They are not nearly as expensive if you buy from the bulk boxes.

Julie, you may want to check Costco out again. They sell the big box of milk bones and you can save a fortune on diapers and wipes for Kenny. My husband and I love Costco and it saves us a lot of money.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Puppy Dog

For most dogs I think junky treats in moderation are okay. For my dog though, he's allergic to wheat so that eliminates about 100% of the junk food treats. Plus, I'm switching him over to a grain free diet, including treats.

Another thing is with the food recalls I would DEFINITELY check the ingredient list for wheat gluten. Whether that specific treat is on the recall list, made by menu foods or not, I wouldn't take a chance right now.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:01 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
The ingredients in those aren't so good. Partially hydrogenated fats, etc. We used to use them as training treats for Herschel when he was a baby but too many would make his stool soft.

Peanut Butter
Ingredients:
Unbleached white flour, peanut butter, vegetable oil, mixed tocopherols (natural preservative).

Where do you see partially hydrogenated fats ??? Please tell me....
Old 04-03-2007, 06:06 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

I go to the grocery store and buy the Newman's Own cookies, because hey are perfect to stuff into the Kong. >^^;<

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 04-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post
I think anything in moderation is okay as long as the dog's main diet is a healthy one.
I definately agree! If you were in good health and ate extremely healthy food for every meal, I don't think you'd stress over the occassional ice cream bar. I personally don't really care what's in my boys' treats. They get so few of them that it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure they manage to eat worse than those treats when they're amoking in the yard.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Active Pup

I used to feed junkie treats, but once I started making my own, my dogs won't eat anything else. They actually turn up their nose and walk away. If I go to so much trouble feeding them well, I don't want to give them crap treats, especially now that the recalls have moved on to some treat varieties. Plus, they go wild when I start baking...

This is Buddy; he has his own blog - The Barking Chiweenie.
**Disclaimer** I do not endorse breeding of designer dogs. We adopted Buddy from a military couple when they had to deploy unexpectedly. But he sure is cute, don't you think?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Angel Chicken

I give Kona Milk Bones, pupperoni, and Three Dog Bakery treats. She loves them all, with Milk bones being her fave.

You guys should try Three Dog Bakery. Kona loves the treats, and even Sam, Rob's mother's dog, loves them, and she is 14 years old and a picky eater!

Three Dog Bakery
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Twin 2.0

I give the TDB stuff, but I get it for cheap as well. But, they're half-decent. The JnS Bits with carob chips has a small portion of hydrogenated soy/cottonseed oil, but I don't feed many at a time. The Bark n' Fetch biscuits are nice; I have a bag of Apple and Oatmeal sitting next to me.

Apple/Oatmeal biscuits: whole wheat flour, rolled oats, apples, molasses, cinnamon, dried egg product and natural vegetable extract.

Not the best, but not the worst.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Angel Chicken

I trained Kona with the Jump n' Sit Bits Variety pack. She just didn't train well with any "normal" sized dog treats, so I thought some little nibblers would help out, and damned if they didn't!

She still learns new stuff when I have them around...last night I taught her "Tell Me" with them