Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Active Pup

It seems to me that the silver poodles (all sizes and ages) hair is straighter than the other colored poodles.........from what I have seen.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

Does it also depend on how short the clip is? It would seem to me that if it's cut very close, the curls would disappear and you'd be left with the wavey look. Is that true? I love Poodles. Why don't you Poodle people post more pictures? Big pictures! LOL. I love my breeds that I have, but am always fantisizing about Poodles. I get bouts of puppyitis and Poodleitis too! I'm having one of those bouts right now. Need a Poodle picture fix. LOL.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:23 PM
:( only one :(

LOL Doberluv, I'll see if I can find pictures and post them here. It might help with my explanation to the OP.

Poodle coat texture can vary for many different reasons. It depends on whether:

-If it's a puppy, they have a straighter coat until they grow into their adult coat.

-Due to the quality of breeding. Some can have a softer silky coat when they are suppose to have a dense, curly and naturally harsh textured coat.

-Or if they've been recently groomed. When I fluff dry my dogs' coat it goes from being really curly to straight. When they dry naturally they curl like crazy.

Here a picture of a standard poodle I groomed about a month ago. He's a young boy, 8 months, and still in his puppy coat. The owners didn't want him to look like a poodle and didn't want anything shaved off so everything was scissored.

Here's Boomer, he doesn't have a good quality coat. But you can see the difference between the 2 pictures of before grooming and after how his coat is less curly. These pictures were taken a while ago before my shop was all set up.

And here he is drying naturally.

PoodleMommy, it's so nice to see you again. *Hugs*
Old 03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Oh wow! Great pics! That Poodle that is just fuzz...why didn't his owners want him to look like a Poodle? LOL. Why not get some other breed then? Funny. He looks like one of those perms that come out too fuzzy. But he's cute. I like the look of your Boomer with the naturally drying hair. He's adorable. OK! More pictures. LOL. Oh, and thanks for the explanation. Interesting.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Here's a pic of Chloe and as you can see with the short clip she has there aren't tight curls

And so Farley doesn't feel left out

And just for your "poodle fix" here's a fun pic with their imitations of the Flying Nun
Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

A-h-h-h....they're beautiful! I like that short clip. It does look very soft to the touch. They're having a great time outside. Very cute. I just love all of your Poodles. Farley has his back legs in the strangest position when he's lying down. Too cute. He's seems to hang pretty loose. LOL. Thanks for the pictures!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Yeah with Farley I never know what position I'm going to find him in. Some of them are very strange. It is so hard to get decent pictures of him because he is so dark usually there is only a blob of darkness with very little detail. Of course, if I took the time to read the booklet that came with my camera I could probably get some better pics of him!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Of course, if I took the time to read the booklet that came with my camera I could probably get some better pics of him!
That really made me chuckle. I'm the same way. Try, try and try again. When all else fails, read the directions. LOL.

Gosh! I looked up on the Poodle Club of America at their health issues and was amazed. I had no idea they had so many possible problems. I think the list is even longer than Dobermans' list of maladies, although with Dobes, some of those things are extremely prevelent. How prevelent are some of those things they talk about Poodles getting? Have you had any troubles?

There's a Standard Poodle that is walked on this beach walk that I'm using while staying in Seattle and he has the cutest clip. It's pretty short all over but he has the little pom poms on his ankles and tail. There's a little more hair on top of his head...just enough that it's all in proportion....very cute. He's black and just gorgeous.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

Farley & Chloe have had some problems. When Chloe was around 3 yo she started having seizures. After alot of research I switched her food and that has resolved the problem without the necessity of meds. Farley always suffered from allergies - skin, ears & eyes. With the change of food I have seen a great improvement with those as well. The biggest & scariest problem was when Farley bloated & required emergency surgery.

Things seem to have finally leveled out and (hopefully without jinxing us) we have been free of other than normal, routine vet visits.