Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Your Mom

GREYHOUND GREYHOUND GREYHOUND GREYHOUND GREYHOUND!!

Though they may be considered "rescues" there are programs where you can pick out your puppy and follow them through their racing career, then when they retire they get to come home with you!!

And even if they can't get into a program like that all racing Greyhounds can have their lineage tracked so they are not "unknown mutts." Some Greys are higher energy than others, but it's easier to find a relaxed retired racer than anything.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

A well bred , well socialized Golden isn't a handful !! My grand-dog Seger is just 5 months old .... a perfect gentleman . ( LOL !! At least I hope so , he comes to me Saturday for a week ! )

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 PM
just call me Nilly

Well if you were thinking Whippet but they're too small, then I agree with SisMorphine that Greyhounds would be worth looking into. Magnificent dogs, and despite their speed they're *lazy* lol.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
Magnificent dogs, and despite their speed they're *lazy* lol.
Wally says "Hey!!! I resemble that remark!"

Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm All Ears

I really thought a nice well bred Golden would be nice for them, but that's just me. I adore show bred goldens though. Lucy was gorgeous. Made me want one too!

And I tend to think every family needs a Beaubeau. XD
Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Are you dead yet?

Ooo! I didn't even think of Greys. Sis, about how old are they when they retire? Wally is absolutely gorgeous.

My only concern with the retired greys would be the whole prey drive thing. We have cats and a Papillon and wouldn't care to see any of them eaten.

Laurelin, I really like the show bred Goldens too. Granted, if it were a dog for me I probably wouldn't choose a Golden, much less one from show lines, but I love how sweet, patient and placid they are. Perfect for my parents.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Fishies!

Usually only the grown Goldens are placid, I wonder what kind of luck you have, finding an Eve and getting to play with that other Golden.

Most Greys are 2-4 when they retire, sometimes younger, especially if they had a racing injury. Rescues will try and find the cat safe ones. It also depends on the cat.. are they runners or scratchers?

But my choice would be... Newf or a Saint!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Lord Cynical

Too bad Berners have about the same amount of coat as a Golden... they're wonderful, placid, gentle souls - at least, the Berners my handler breeds are this way. If I was to ever have kids (which I won't but still), I'd get a Berner for them to grow up with - simply awesome dogs.

Heck, I'm thinking about getting a Berner someday anyway!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Ooo! I didn't even think of Greys. Sis, about how old are they when they retire? Wally is absolutely gorgeous.

My only concern with the retired greys would be the whole prey drive thing. We have cats and a Papillon and wouldn't care to see any of them eaten.
Greyhounds can be retired from the track anywhere from 1.5 on up. Wally was retired at 4. You usually see them around 2-3 years old. You can also find retired brood mommas at about 8 or 9. They usually live 13-15 years which is great for a dog of their size.

As far as prey drive goes, it comes in all shapes and sizes. Wally's is very minimal, and never shows up when he's indoors. He has lived happily with 2 cats for a few months when we were taking care of them for a friend, he also gets along GREAT with my rabbit. Yes that's right, my rabbit.

Energy levels can range greatly, Wally is super lazy, my friend's Grey Melody is a crazy lab in a Greyhound's body. The great thing is that your parents can tell the local rescue exactly what they need (good with cats and small dogs, quiet, relaxed but enjoys going for walks, etc) and most places will have a Grey in their program that will fit, and if they don't they will look for one for them. Greyhound "rescue" is like a WHOLE different world from other types of rescue.

Oh, and if they're ever tempted to get a Greyhound puppy instead of rescuing an adult (sometimes oops litters from the farms and tracks will show up in rescue because if you don't know both parents the puppies cannot race) tell them to rethink it!! Greyhound puppies are beyond your normal puppy terrors, very high energy, very destructive, they need a very firm hand and are a handful. It's the strict life of the track that makes them nice and mellow and appreciate a nice soft bed when they are retired

Oh, Wally and Sexy Rexy:

Wally and Saint Jimmy
Old 03-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Crazy Dog!

How about one of the setters? English, Irish, etc? They are usually lower energy. Or a smooth collie? If you got a field bred setter you probably wouldn't have to worry about the hair