Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Are you dead yet?

Default Breed for my parents?

So in a year or so when I move out with my crew, my parents are going to want a dog. They want to keep Dakota but I think I've convinced them that he's a little too much dog for them.

So, I've been looking for a breed for them. They want a good natured, large (over 40lbs) dog that is inherently kind and accepting of people and other animals. They really prefer a quiet dog (not a lot of barking) and while they want to take the dog on walks, they don't want a lot of energy. If at all possible, they want a dog that is content to be with them and not extremely strong-willed.

I've been thinking that a Golden Retriever would be good for them, and they definitely like Goldens, but the hair is a concern - they'd like something with a shorter, thinner coat since it gets so hot here. I've been racking my brain and I can't think of a breed that would suit them. I adore Whippets and would love to see them with one, but they are just a little too small.

So, any suggestions? (Oh, btw, rescue is not an option - they want a well-bred puppy)
Old 03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Golden Retriever is what came to mind for me... but like you said, the hair is a concern. I can't think of anything else..lol.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Twin 2.0

There's a wonderful breed called a Virgo...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Well as someone currently living with an aussie and a bc and one
board & train young Golden, I wouldn't say a Golden if they want LESS dog to manage. While I do love Goldens, that exuberant bouncy puppy stage which lasts for sooo long with them is a bit hard if you're not up for it. The shedding is a consideration too.
Hmm.. all the breeds I can think of that I like that are easy to own, companion dogs are smaller than 40 pounds.
I don't know your parents but I like cavaliers, havanese, bichons (if you're ok with the curly coat thing)
What about a nice, wellbred, smallish female Viszla? There would be a bouncy stage but they are smaller and lighter than a Golden with nonexistant coat and oooh those silky soft Viszla ears are to die for.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Are you dead yet?

Oh CRAP, just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Dumb me.

Anyway, Sam, do you think breeding has anything to do with their energy levels? Perhaps the fact that Lucy is from show lines makes a difference. She's bouncy at times but she's very slow, mellow and gentle for the most part.

A Virgo would be good but I'm sure she'll be adopted by the time they're ready for a dog.

A Vizsla . . . For some reason, all of the V's I've met have been very, very high energy. I love the breed but I don't know if all the energy will work for my parents. They really need something more placid.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 PM
swimming upstream

how about a standard poodle? the hair can be kept clipped close-and temperment seems to be what you describe.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Are you dead yet?

We all adore standard poodles, mom especially. I'd love to see them get one, but again the energy concerns me. I suppose if the dog was trained well, it wouldn't be bad - not Border Collie intense, anyway.

I hadn't thought of that, Baxter's, thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Water Junkie

I think a poodle would be great! Also they could get a miniture poodle (not sure what everyone thinks of those, but) Only think is I don't know the weight range. Given enough mentel stimulation they should be fine.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Puppy Dog

My parents wanted a breed exactly like you described it. I bought an english mastiff for them, and it has really been the ideal breed. A bit of problem with her slobberiness, but itīs not that bad. Calm, stable, not very energetic but loves to walk, obedient, loves company but isnīt very demanding. And she is really sweet.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:35 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
We all adore standard poodles, mom especially. I'd love to see them get one, but again the energy concerns me. I suppose if the dog was trained well, it wouldn't be bad - not Border Collie intense, anyway.

I hadn't thought of that, Baxter's, thanks!
^ I try to please