Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Felurian

ROFLMAO . . . brought back horrible but hysterical memories of Shiva's little escapade . . . Poor Addie. Poor Debi.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:56 AM
Puppy Dog

How's it going today?

Sophie was spayed a little over 2 weeks ago and came home with that awful collar on. We were supposed to keep it on for 2 weeks until the stitches came out (which was on Thursday).

Around Sunday the collar started snapping apart. We tried and tried again to get it back on secure, but it kept coming apart. If it was off she would try and lick the incision.

By Tuesday I was unable to get it back on at ALL. (Horrible design!) And I was worried she'd strangle with this half-on half-off collar when I wasn't watching. So I weighed the benefits vs the risks and took it off. I figured that at 1 week 5 days, if she pulled a stitch out, the world wouldn't come to an end. Amazingly enough, she didn't lick at all. So Thursday we just went and got the stitches out and now she's fine. Still dirty from 2 weeks without a bath (we bathe her about once a week or she starts looking really grungy), but fine.

And last night she grabbed that thing off the coffee table where I had left and started chewing on it and flinging it around...and I let her. I felt like doing the same thing to it.

Funny how you said he came out all loopy...when I picked Sophie up I even brought a towel with me to wrap her in thinking I'd be carrying out this loopy dog who was in pain. Nope - they brought her to me on a leash and she was as energetic as can be. That's my Sophie.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Felurian

There's an antidote that they can administer now that snaps the animal out of anesthesia. That's probably what they gave Sophie. Dr. P. gave it to Shiva so we could bring her on home after he sewed her hide back together. Oh, was THAT a mistake! She was wide awake and full of energy - NOT the way you want a 120 pound dog with a 6" X 7" stitch job in her side. She slung her bandage off, blood all over the place, wanted to roll and play on the sofa, you know, the usual stuff. I ended up tying a sort of bandage around her middle, then getting an old T-shirt and putting it on her, slitting the tail of it so that I could tie it around her waist below the bandage just to keep it on long enough to get her back to Dr. P's for a better bandage job and a tranquilizer. Dr. P trussed her up, gave me a couple of extra bandage kits (looked like I was going to a M.A.S.H. unit somewhere) and gave her a shot of something that was supposed to just calm her down, but leave her mobile.

By the time we got home, she was falling down drunk! I thought I'd never get her back in the house; had to pick up her back end and move it forward, then pick up the front end and move it. I covered the sofa with a couple of layers of bath sheets and rolled her up on it, made sure she wasn't going to move, took a hot shower, then collapsed on the other end of the sofa with her and a steady supply of Negro Modela!

The remains of the brobdignagian Elizabethan collar are out in the laundry room. She doesn't seem to bear it any ill will, though. But I do . . .