Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Puppy Love

Default Please Help!

A friend of mine, I am now learning, without a doubt is a BYB. It's purely about making a few bucks, and she just owns two of the same breed of dog, they mate every time the female comes into heat, etc. They also live out in the country, so no fence, and other dogs come calling when she is in heat too. There is currently a litter of 14! 9 that look full blood and 5 that look mixed. So my first question is, can that be? Can there be 9 full blood and 5 mixed? How do you know for sure that some that look full blood might not be mixed too? The worst part is that my friend moved the pups outside because "the weather is nice" and now the momma dog is confused and has been taking some of the pups elsewhere and they are constantly having to move the pups back. Because of this they are wanting to get sell some of them at only 4 weeks old! I told her that in some states it is illegal to sell a pup under the age of 8 weeks and she was like, oh that's just toy breeds....she won't listen! I need some hard core facts (like university studies, Dr's studies, etc) about why not to take them from the litter that young. I couldn't find anything on the net. This is such a mess....I am going to try and talk her into spaying her female dog after this. Please help!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

Tsk, tsk. That makes me sad.
The age varies by state, I am sure because in Fla it was 6 weeks. But 4 weeks sounds way too young.
Sounds like she is ignorant, in every way. First, if you let your dog just run, you are stupid! No fence, leash, tie out, that is aweful! Second, any dog comes along???Really sad. Yes, a female can be impregnated by two sires.
If you cannot convince her to spay and chain her dog up, Id call animal control to take her dog away. She shouldnt deserve the love of a companion like a dog.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Top Dog

This isn't only a BYB....it's a very stupid dog owner !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2007, 02:01 PM

you have your heart in the right place, but if she is making money...she won't listen to you about spaying her dog. *sigh* if only people would stop buying puppies from BYBs, then the madness would end. animal control won't take her dog away if she isn't mistreating it. you could look into your local area to see if there are 'kennel laws', but that's a tough one to argue also. just another sad case of stupidity.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Water Junkie

I'm currently going through the same thing with some one I know It's terribly sad. Ditto Grammy.

All you can do is call AC and see what they say. Some people are in it just for money, nothing else...and nothing you do/say will change that enless some thing physical is done

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Walks into Mordor

First of all, yes. It is very possible to have puppies with different fathers in the same litter. That doesn't mean she can sell the puppies as purebred! Unless she's willing to get some geneic testing done on the pups and prove who the father is, she shouldn't sell them as pure. Otherwise, she's committing a fraud.

I'd contact the local humane society as well and see if it's illegal to sell pups under 4 weeks old. If you look around online, there are studies that show the negative impact of seperating pups from their mother at too young of an age.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Puppy Dog

Call the humane society on your friend ANONYMOUSLY. They can do that, pretty sure.

When dogs have mixed litters (let's say a dalmatian has 5 pups, 3 are purebred dallies and 2 look like lab x dallies) it means the female was bred with two different dogs in the same heat cycle. One father was a dalmatian, the other was a Labrador.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Purdue#1

Poor dogs. There can be different sires. My cat had kittens from different fathers until we got her spayed. same with dogs.

You might see if the state has a leash law. Indiana has one.

I have an aunt that lives in Ok. If her dogs are Licensed(doubtful) then the cost of the intact dogs she has will cost more( My aunt had got something in the mail last year that talked about it.) if she lives in the area.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
This isn't only a BYB....it's a very stupid dog owner !!
Grammy well stated, and directly to the point!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl View Post
Tsk, tsk. That makes me sad.
The age varies by state, I am sure because in Fla it was 6 weeks. But 4 weeks sounds way too young.
Sounds like she is ignorant, in every way. First, if you let your dog just run, you are stupid! No fence, leash, tie out, that is aweful! Second, any dog comes along???Really sad. Yes, a female can be impregnated by two sires.
If you cannot convince her to spay and chain her dog up, Id call animal control to take her dog away. She shouldnt deserve the love of a companion like a dog.
In Florida, it's 8 weeks

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep